2. lis 2014.

ARC Review: Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
Lucy Aimes has always been practical. But try as she might, she can’t come up with a logical explanation for the recurring dreams that have always haunted her. Dark dreams. Dreams of a long-ago place filled with people she shouldn’t know…but does.
When her family moves to a New Orleans plantation, Lucy’s dreams become more intense, and her search for answers draws her reluctantly into the old city’s world of Voodoo and mysticism. There, Lucy finds Alex, a mysterious boy who behaves as if they’ve known each other forever. Lucy knows Alex is hiding something, and her rational side doesn’t want to be drawn to him. But she is.
As she tries to uncover Alex’s secrets, a killer strikes close to home, and Lucy finds herself ensnared in a century-old vendetta. With the lives of everyone she loves in danger, Lucy will have to unravel the mystery of her dreams before it all comes to a deadly finish.
         From what I have heard (actually read) at different blogs, it seems that that there are some issues in books most of us dealt with. One of them is when you get a really interesting idea and storyline (despite it being not perfectly done), but the book lacks any sort of chemistry or emotions, or vice versa. Sadly it happens often to me and Sweet Unrest will have to go into that category.

        It starts like a mystical story, where Lucy, our main character in the story, moves with her parents to another city where a lot of town mysteries surround them. Soon enough Lucy gets to see pieces of that mystery and realized that there are some things that need to be solved and her adventure begins. With a nice dose of voodoo and dark and twisted stories you get to enjoy this mystery and to turn pages quickly just to see what happens next.

         While that aspect of this story is what I really enjoyed, lack of chemistry or any sort of emotions is what stopped me from enjoying this fully. I never connected with Lucy or actually any other character. Alex was a really mysterious guy, but then again I couldn't feel him. Another thing that slightly bothered me was this ending. I don't want to spoil things to you, but it felt rather forced to me.

        This is one of those books that for me seemed to have a really great idea and everything, but somewhere in the process some strings got loose and the plot suffered from it as it felt rather dull at moments. But writing was neatly done, which I'll give the author credit for.

Rating: 2.5 stars.

Until the next time,
*NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Flux. Thank you.

33 komentara:

  1. I haven't heard of this one at all but I'm sorry to see it didn't live up to its initial promise. It happens to me a LOT where I think a novel is going to be far better than it is. Either way, thanks for the heads-up, Tanja--I won't be picking this one up any time soon!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Sorry this didn't come all together like you wanted it to, that can be so disappointing.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. It's always difficult whtn you can really connect with the characters, I have this problem a few times this month and it makes me so sad. I'm sorry it was like that for you.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I hadn't heard of this one until now and I definitely hate books that sound amazing, but lack emotional quality and execution :( It's a shame that this wasn't as good as you hoped so.

    Lovely review, Tanja <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Aww Tanja, I'm so sad you didn't like this one because of a lack of emotional connection. I was looking forward to reading it, but the reviews have me wanting to run away from it.
    Thanks for the honesty, Tanja.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Well shoot Tanja! It's always so disappointing when a story has a great premise and a lot going for it, but just doesn't deliver on the emotional front. I need that connection in order to be completely absorbed by a story, and I'm sorry that didn't happen for you here. Thanks for your thoughts!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Aww sorry for you not liking it. :(
    I was really looking forward to this but well until now I haven't read any reviews that said it's great or even enjoyable, I'm so sad because the blurb sounds wonderful. It's always a shame when a great idea is ruined...

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Sorry! I hope you'll enjoy it more. Thanks, Veronika :)

      Izbriši
  8. Prior to your review I haven't heard of this one. However reading the synopsis I can see why this one really appealed to you. The voodoo aspect sounds wonderful and I'm glad to hear it was well done. What is more disappointing is the lack of emotional connection you had to the writing and the characters. The storyline could be the most interesting thing ever, but if you don't feel like a connection to the characters there's an issue. You truly can't be invested in a story when you're not attached.

    Great review girl! (:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah I was so curious about voodoo thing. Yes it's necessary. Thanks, Larissa :)

      Izbriši
  9. I enjoyed the story and the mystery and the writing was excellent, but I totally agree, the romance lacked chemistry, but I still liked it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. The lack of chemistry and emotion would probably do me in

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. Bummer.
    This one was actually on my radar but trust me i have officially decided this one is not for me. Hopefully your next read is better!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Too bad this was missing that spark, particularly in the romance.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. A lack of chemistry or spark can ruin a story for me too. Sorry this one didn't work out for you Tanja.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. I haven't heard a ton about this one and was considering it but now I'm not so sure, off to goodreads to read some more reviews!

    It's so disappointing when a book is missing the spark of chemistry, especially when it has so many great aspects. =(

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I truly hope you'll give it a chance. Maybe it'll work for you. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  15. Oh no - I hate when there's a lack of emotional connection to the story, especially when the premise is enticing and the ideas are good. Sorry this one didn't work for you! I think I'll skip this one because I need more than a good idea for a book to work for me too. Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  16. Oh no - I hate when there's a lack of emotional connection to the story, especially when the premise is enticing and the ideas are good. Sorry this one didn't work for you! I think I'll skip this one because I need more than a good idea for a book to work for me too. Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  17. Failure to connect on an emotional level with a story is usually a deal breaker for me too, Tanja. Hope your next read is better. Great honest review! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  18. It's a shame to see this one fell short, not because of the novel idea but more so because it was simply unrelatable. Because I love character driven novels I am sure I wouldn't like this - emotion in books is what I am all about!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  19. Aw, it's sad this one didn't work for you. I like voodoo and all that, but hey, it has to be great or else it's a no- like this one. Ah well, I see you read some great books after this, so that's a plus point. Great review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...