18. lis 2014.

ARC Review: Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker

Buy the book at 
Author's 
WebsiteTwitter

Expected publication: 21st October

Book summary:
It's an oppressively hot and sticky morning in June when Sterling and her brother, Phin, have an argument that compels him to run into the town swamp -- the one that strikes fear in all the residents of Sticks, Louisiana. Phin doesn't return. Instead, a girl named Lenora May climbs out, and now Sterling is the only person in Sticks who remembers her brother ever existed.
Sterling needs to figure out what the swamp's done with her beloved brother and how Lenora May is connected to his disappearance -- and loner boy Heath Durham might be the only one who can help her. 
This debut novel is full of atmosphere, twists and turns, and a swoon-worthy romance.
         Are you willing to embrace weirdness and just go with the flow, without taking in consideration where that river might take you? Just read and not think about logic. Also do you like books that have realistic setting but much unrealistic elements? If the answer is yes then this is probably book for you.

         After seeing this cover for the first time I knew I needed this book in my life and after it landed on my Kindle I couldn't  but do happy dance around the room. But after I started reading it I was a bit skeptical. Beware the Wild starts with the story in present. You get to meet Sterling while she is waiting at the police station and it takes few pages to get the story behind her anxiousness. Her brother had sort of a breakdown and went to the place that's been source of their fears for many years - swamp. The next day things change in her home. Suddenly her brother is magically replaced with Lenora May who got out of the swamp and took his place with people behaving like it was always that way. All but Sterling and Heath, who need to find a way to understand this.

        Books with fantasy elements set in realistic environment are usually hit or miss for me. I like my fantasy reads in another worlds, and realistic settings in contemporary books. So I'm not sure how I feel about this. I did like the whole mystical setting and it was really vivid and unusual, but at the same time I was really hard to get myself involved with this idea.

       When it comes to characters and romance, well Sterling was a really determined girl. I admired her willingness and strength but at the same time her recklessness bothered me from time to time. Hugh was also really interesting and real character but at the same time he didn't feel like someone who has strong views as he followed Sterling almost blindly. At the same time both were real, with real issues and troubles. And their romance was really sweet and nicely developed. It's one from friends to lovers kind which we all tend to love.

       This book had a really interesting mix of elements which wasn't really according to my desires but still it worked out just fine.

Rating: 3.5 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 13:

  1. The mix is intriguing and interesting I confess. I think I already heard about this one but I don't remember the reviews.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Well I love the cover of this book too!
    But this doesn't sound like my kind of read
    though I might check it out sometime
    GREAT review, deary
    Your reader,
    Soma R.
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. This really was a different but fun and sometimes creepy read wasn't it? Definitely not what I was expecting but in a good unusual kind of way.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I am so curious as this novel is generating ratings all over the place. You have given me a clear picture and I appreciate it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. This was one odd book, but somehow it completely worked for me! It reminded me so much of Yovanoff's works, and I adore that woman beyond words. So all in all, I thought this was a wonderful debut.
    I'm glad you mostly appreciated it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I've seen predominantly positive reviews of this novel, so it's interesting to hear your perspective, Tanja. I'm glad to hear you did enjoy it but perhaps I'll go into it with fewer expectations now. I'm very excited to pick it up, however, so hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it, just as you did.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Ooh, I'm not sure this one if for me then. I tend to question everything way too much in a book like this, which might only lead to my frustration. The romance sounds nice though, I find that any relationship where the characters start off as friends is much easier to get behind. Great review, Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. This sounds like it's more magic realism than fantasy. I like the weird replacements, was it explained though?

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. This is one I was on the fence about and after your review I'm glad I didn't jump on it. Glad you were able to enjoy it even though it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. I agree with you, Tanja. I like my fantasy novels to be set in a new world altogether. A co-existence of the normal and fantasy world leaves me asking more questions than I can get answers to. Although in this case, with the incorporation of a few elements, it makes it slightly believable. I like that the romance was nice even though I'm not the biggest fan of the same. Nice review, girl!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. me two, the hit or miss thing, that's why I was waiting for some of my GR friend to review this. I'm intrigued but still a little skeptical. i might check it out soon.
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Great review Tanja, I always wondered about this book and whether it was for me. I can't do fantasy meshed with the real world either, because it just makes me suspend my disbelief. It sounds like the characters, while they had admirable traits, were mostly inconsistent which was frustrating. Thanks for sharing!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. Hm, this sounds very different! I can't imagine it being fantasy in a realistic world, and I find the two very strange to combine. Like you I prefer my fantasy to be in a different world. I do agree, the cover is beautiful!

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...