27. sij 2015.

Running Barefoot by Amy Harmon

Buy the book:
Author's:
My rating: 3 stars

Book summary:

"When Josie Jensen, an awkward 13-year-old musical prodigy crashes headlong into new-comer Samuel Yazzie, an 18-year-old Navajo boy full of anger and confusion, an unlikely friendship blooms. Josie teaches Samuel about words, music and friendship, and along the way finds a kindred spirit. Upon graduation, Samuel abandons the sleepy, small town in search of a future and a life, leaving his young friend behind. Many years go by and Samuel returns, finding Josie in need of the very things she offered him years before. Their roles reversed, Samuel teaches Josie about life, love, and letting go. Deeply romantic and poignant, Running Barefoot is the story of a small town girl and a Native American boy, the ties that bind them to their homes and families, and the love that gives them wings."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19054212-running-barefoot

      I never know what to expect when I pick up novel written by Amy Harmon. Sometimes I love them to pieces, sometimes I think they are okay, and there are those with some topics that I don't prefer when choosing what to read next. 

      One of my favorite books that I read last year is The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon. (You can read my review here.) Everything about that book was perfect - characters, topic, writing,  storyline... When I figured out that it's happening in the same fictional world as one other Amy Harmon novel, I knew that I'd read it soon as well. Running Barefoot is her debut and has all recognizable bits and pieces of Harmon's writing - emotional read, small town setting, religious tones and sweet love story. I have to be honest and say that I would probably never read Running Barefoot if there wasn't Moses ans his story. I wanted to know what happened to Josie and what does that tall and brooding Samuel hides. I am happy that I did because it was a book worth reading. I did have a lot of issues with it - mostly regarding all religious undertones and how some views seem a little bit overly "exclusive" to the only one group of the people sharing same ideology. Or Sam's transformation and his complicated relationship with his heritage and parents that gets resolved in the direction of previously mentioned ideology. On the other hand, that is mentality of small, traditional communities - that thing is same wherever in the world you are living at - so I sort of was able to understand their actions. 

      Final judgemnt? Sweet story that fans of Amy Harmon novels will enjoy reading, as everyone else who prefer religious-heavy romances. As I said, I am not a fan of any religious ideology and I still enjoyed reading this story.

Happy reading,

Broj komentara: 9:

  1. Darn, I was hoping this would be better. I just read one of her other books and really liked it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I don't like it when religion is a huge part of the story either, so I completely understand where you're coming from Glass. At least there were parts you liked! Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I loved The Law of Moses too Glass so I would definitely read more of Amy Harmon's stories. That being said, religion is a subject i'm never all that thrilled about reading since it needs to be handled with care. I don't want to read a book where I feel characters are just preaching one faith and shoving it down my throat. I want to make my own judgements, you know?
    I'm glad there were apsects in this one you liked and that worked for you Glass. Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I haven't read any of this author's work before and I'm also not a fan of prominent religious undertones in my books so I don't think this one is for me. Fantastic review, though, Glass! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Sign me up, I need a sweet story to read

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Relgious themed romances are not my cuppa but I am glad you were able to enjoy this inspite of the themes. I like the weet sound of it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I'm not a huge fan of heavy religious themes in my stories, so I think this one is probably not for me, but I love your review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. I think it is good that you followed through and read another book by this author. It is nice that they shared the same world, but I am someone who doesn't like books which come across as preachy. I don't mind religion, as long as it is presented in a nice way. Not sure if I want to try this one or not.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I've not heard of this book before, but it does sound good and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It definitely seems worth a try at least. Amazing review, Glass!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...