23. sij 2015.

Breaking the Rules by Katie McGarry

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
 A summer road trip changes everything in this unforgettable new tale from acclaimed author Katie McGarry

For new high school graduate Echo Emerson, a summer road trip out west with her boyfriend means getting away and forgetting what makes her so... different. It means seeing cool sights while selling her art at galleries along the way. And most of all, it means almost three months alone with Noah Hutchins, the hot, smart, soul-battered guy who’s never judged her. Echo and Noah share everything — except the one thing Echo’s just not ready for.

But when the source of Echo’s constant nightmares comes back into her life, she has to make some tough decisions about what she really wants — even as foster kid Noah’s search for his last remaining relatives forces them both to confront some serious truths about life, love, and themselves.

Now, with one week left before college orientation, jobs and real life, Echo must decide if Noah's more than the bad-boy fling everyone warned her he'd be. And the last leg of an amazing road trip will turn... seriously epic. 
Your dearest Glass and Tanja are back with another joint review for Katie's book. It's a tradition and some traditions we don't break.  
  
Tanja: I think that this is the first time that I'm actually feeling sorry for a review that we haven't written yet, but the fact is that this will turn into "this should be Abby's book" story. But let's try to avoid it, somehow.
So this book for me was everything Katie usually is. It's like when you get into a Katie restaurant and order a Katie special you'll get this. Swoon worthy scenes and plenty of drama, all cooked together. But, it seemed like it was in a microwave before it got to you.
(Love, make some sense here, as I'm losing my metaphors)
Glass: But this should have been Abby's story!!! I am sorry, but I just can't get over the fact that we might never get that. And you metaphors are perfect - Breaking the Rules (I cannot believe that I'm about to say this) is a washed out version of epic, swoon-worthy story we had in Pushing the Limits. Noah was one of my favorite guys in this series - well, until we met West in Take Me On - but now I'm starting to doubt everything. I kind of wish that we haven't read this at all, don't you agree?
Tanja: Yes, totally. I assume that now readers will think that this is awful or something. It's not, at the same time it's not nearly as good as Pushing the Limits and other Katie's books were. It was just average and Katie's is everything but average writer.
Glass: Plus, I ended disappointed with both Noah and Echo, they annoyed me so much. Especially her. But as you already said, it is okay book, fans of the series will enjoy reading this, there are still a lot of "signature" Katie McGarry scenes and ending kind of redeemed everything. 
Tanja: Exactly. It's sad, because you could get a lot from this series by writing about other character (we won't let it go), but this was well unnecessary. What bothered me the most, was that sort of, kind of love-triangle there. Gaaah! Why?!
Glass: Why did you even have to mention that? I didn't like that part at all. Completely unnecessary, extra drama.  But, guys, don't get us wrong - we did give 3 stars to this book, so it means that Breaking the Rules wasn't a bad read - just not what we expected. But Katie McGarry is going to publish completely new book this year, Nowhere But Here, and we are so excited because of that. That summary sounds so intriguing and like nothing I've read so far when it comes to young adult genre.
Tanja: Yup. It's not Abby's book (this is the last time I'm mentioning it!), but I think it'll be much better than this. You know me, I'm always up for unique reads and let's hope that Nowhere But Here will be that. Aside the drama and everything, this is just an okay read. So I'd recommend - don't expect something different and new, as you won't get that. But you'll for sure enjoy reading it, as one thing that Katie will never fail at is good writing.

Rating: 3 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 20:

  1. I so need to start this series. Even though this wasn't a favorite for you, I still want to read it!

    Great thoughts ladies!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I completely agree that this story was often dramatic and ruined PUSHING THE LIMITS in many ways. I enjoyed it because it was exactly what I needed during finals time--something wayyy too ridiculous--but I looove this joint review. One of my faves from you ladies! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Sorry to see that this one wasn't awesome. I haven't tried a book by the author yet but I know I should.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of this one either. I mean, I loved PTL but this was just too much and I got so sick of the pointless drama in this one that I thought Echo and Noah were already past <.<

    Lovely review, ladies! <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I so agree, I think the OTT dramatic was completely unnecessarily and all in all so far I'm finding it to be just an ok read. In my opinion this book wasn't really needed. I would have just been happy to have PTL...sometimes standalone are best left alone. xD

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I've read every book in this series but I don't think I'll read this one. I liked where Echo and Noah were at the end of PTL. Ahhhhh I really want Abby's story too!!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I have not heard the best things about this one, so I stayed away even though I love Noah and Echo. It would give me too many headaches I think! It's a shame! And yes, this SHOULD have been Abby's book! There's a story to tell there. Noah and Echo's story was done in their book!
    Great review, ladies! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. I have not read this series - which is strange because it sounds like I'm missing some serious swoon-worthy boys. Sorry this one wasn't your favorite. Which one do you recommend me starting with or does it matter. I'm trying to read my contemporary NA YA. Thanks for sharing ladies, very fun post.

    Happy Friday Tanja & Glass:)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I haven't really heard good things about this one since it's come out. I loved Breaking the Rules and considering this ones a "washed out" version of that one breaks my heart. Everyone says that Echo and Noah annoyed them in this one and I don't want to read this one if that's the case.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Hmm sounds like this one totally missed the mark. I keep meaning to get back to this series, I've only read PTL, but I am not feeling a big burning desire, especially after reading your reviews.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. Oh man, I totally wish we would get an Abby book as well, but still enjoyed this one

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Awww haha, I guess this is not Abby's book, whomever she might be? :) I have not read this series. Actually...I can't seem to stop forgetting about it. This and Leaving Paradise. Hope you'll love her next release though. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. I've seen so many meh reviews for this one, and I don't think I'm going to read it. I read and loved the first three books in the series, although I do have yet to finish Take Me On. I want to read Abby's book, too! I'm hoping Katie may eventually write it :) Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. I know! I was hoping the next one would be Abby's book. That's why I haven't yet read Breaking the Rules. Stories about couples who already have a story iaren't my thing, but anyway, I'm glad you ladies liked this just about enough. As always, awesomesauce review!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  15. I loved this discussion! I still haven't worked up to reading it, but its because I dont want to see Noah and Echo hurt again and you know that has to happen. One of these days I will read it. Great review!


    P.S.--- I want Abby's book too!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  16. Sorry this one was a little disappointing! I still haven't read anything from Katie McGarry but I plan on really soon. Great review, guys! =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  17. Lmao Tanja the restaurant thing! I agree though! I haven't read further than a few chapters, but I can already tell that it's a Katie special and tbh I'm sad that Abby doesn't have a story yet, but seeing as Katie has told me and Danielle a long time ago that she wants to write Abby's story and that in one of her giveaways there was an entry option for everyone to tell her who they wanted to be with Abby (Ethan or Logan), I think we have a chance still? I HOPE SO! Anyhow, WTH?????? Thre's a love triangle thing? I AM NOT PLEASED WITH THIS *shakes head* I hope that NBH will be amazing and that we'll get our Abby book. I'm glad you liked it BtR regardless of all the things you didn't love, but sorry it wasn't a mindblowing read. Lovely review, ladies!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  18. Hmm, that's kind of disappointing that this one isn't wholly focused on another character, seeing as we already got Echo and Noah's story in Pushing the Limits. The more reviews I see, the more I think Katie McGarry just isn't for me - I read the first and was all meh. Great discussion guys!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  19. Oh noes..washout versions..not Abby's story. Yikes. I will probably read it eventually but I am no hurry.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  20. I'm definitely not reading this, because I liked where Noah and Echo were left. I don't like it when an author unnecessarily messes with a couple I adore and in the process makes me like the couple less. Great review, ladies! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...