21. stu 2013.

Fragments (Partials Sequence #2) by Dan Wells


Buy the book:
Author's:
My rating: 3.5 stars

Book summary:

"Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence—it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what’s left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira’s journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn’t even know existed."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15729616-fragments
 

      Just because of Samm. I remember when I read Partials - I was speechless and completely amazed. Dan Wells gave me exactly what I love in my post-apocalyptic novels - well thought fictional world, strong characters and captivating  plot twists. I loved every second of it. Now, I finally made myself to read the sequel - and it was all because of Samm. Fragments has 576 pages!

      It was kind of a... boring. One of my status updates while I had been reading was this: "And that's why I avoid male authors - you like to talk to much about completely unimportant stuff." I know it was a mean thing to say and Dan Wells doesn't deserve it, but I was frustrated with how long this book is and how little happens until the last 30%. (But also I totally blame it on Russian Realism - it made me hate reading for a while.) Now, what is common thing for Russian Realism and Fragments? Too many too long descriptions. They did help me to imagine how does post-apocalyptic world looks like in author's head, but I had a feeling like a lot of them were there just to fill space between the actual plot twists.

      Then there is Kira... I loved her in the first novel, but here she was just boring. She, Heron and Samm are traveling across the destroyed countries looking for an answers - mostly traveling and talking in circles and not finding anything important. Samm wasn't that much important part of the story - main focus was on Kira's inner discussions.
      What was different is that in the sequel we have two narrators - Kira and Marcus. He is our connection with East Meadow and what happens there. That part was far more interesting and I loved that Dan Wells decided to give us more detailed view in the lives of the secondary characters.

      That ending killed me. Of course author decided to finish it at the most interesting part. Why did I think something else would be the case?  Final instalment of Partials series - Ruins - should be published on March 11th next year. I have no idea what to expect or how it might end. I can't wait to read it.

21 komentar:

  1. I haven't read the first book but the fact that you thought this was pretty boring for much of it has me concerned. Too much description just doesn't work for me either. But it's a series I might read one of these days.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. This is one of the series you should not miss if you love post-apocalyptic novels, but second book is a little bit too long. I thi it will be worth it when I finally get to read Ruins.

      Izbriši
  2. I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts on this series - either readers love it or hate it. I doubt I'll pick it up since it seems rather boring, but I'm curious to see what your thoughts are on the final installment. Great review, Glass!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh, no - this is really great series. I just have a problem with the second book. I think things will be much more interesting in final novel.

      Izbriši
  3. Oh gosh, it sounds like this one suffered from middle book syndrome. :(

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I agree with you, this book was too long with too many descriptions. I wish they'd skipped the whole Chicago sequence, they didn't even need it! Samm still remains my favorite character, though I still love Kira (but she did annoy me somewhat in this installment). I can't wait to read Ruins. Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. He's my favorite too. I really hope he'll get more space in final book. Thank you.

      Izbriši
  5. Aww I was actually kinda excited for Partials but I haven't got a chance to read it yet. Though, Fragments doesn't look as good as Partials. I end up getting way too bored when the story drags as well and seeing that it is 570+ pages there has to be something interesting to keep me going. Hope you enjoy the next one better, Glass! :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I have the first book that I still haven't read so, I don't want to read too far into the review just in case there may be spoilers! But I've been so curious about this series and really want to start it soon :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You should read it - it is really great series. Oh, I think I didn't spoil it too much.:)

      Izbriši
  7. I have mad love for this series, so I am sorry to hear it was just ok and eek gads bored you. I hope you choose to continue. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I will read sequel - I can't wait to see what will happen next.

      Izbriši
  8. Sounds like this one definitely suffers from middle book syndrome. A slow 576 page read is a lot to try and wade through, but I'm glad things at least picked up at the end, and hopefully Ruins will be everything you want it to be Glass!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you, Jenny. It was so long, but I do understand why Dan Wells wrote it in that manner, I could picture whole fictional world while I had been reading.

      Izbriši
  9. I admire the fact that you stuck with this read when it was almost 600 pages and a lot of it was boring! It sounds like this should've been editing down to about 300 pages. Great review, Glass. Hope you like the next one better. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. I have not read Partials yet :( I want to. The world building sounds wonderful in this series.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It is - you can imagine everything. It's almost as if you're there akling with them.

      Izbriši
  11. I was curious to see what will happen with them and would they manage to find answers, but I have high hopes in this author - I believe Ruins will be amazing.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...