19. svi 2015.

Thorn by Intisar Khanani

Buy the book at
Author's

Book summary:
For Princess Alyrra, choice is a luxury she's never had ... until she's betrayed.
Princess Alyrra has never enjoyed the security or power of her rank. Between her family's cruelty and the court's contempt, she has spent her life in the shadows. Forced to marry a powerful foreign prince, Alyrra embarks on a journey to meet her betrothed with little hope for a better future.
But powerful men have powerful enemies--and now, so does Alyrra. Betrayed during a magical attack, her identity is switched with another woman's, giving Alyrra the first choice she's ever had: to start a new life for herself or fight for a prince she's never met. But Alyrra soon finds that Prince Kestrin is not at all what she expected. While walking away will cost Kestrin his life, returning to the court may cost Alyrra her own. As Alyrra is coming to realize, sometime the hardest choice means learning to trust herself.
          I have had a deja vu moment when I recently saw this one on NetGalley. This book was quite popular some time ago, but I have forgotten about it till recently. I rarely ever miss second chances so I decided to give this one a try. I'm still no sure if it was a right move or not.

         Anyhow, let's start with this story. Set in a world of kingdoms and courts I knew that I'd be intrigued by it (I was born at the wrong time after all). Alyrra, our main character here is the princess of a small kingdom in the realm. But her life isn't always as royal as it might seem. Up until one day they get a visit from a mighty king from one of the strongest kingdoms. He is looking for a bride for his son, and he found one in Alyrra. Only, it's not as easy. Their journey and after all union is far from easily achieved.

       While the whole setting and idea of this story was really appealing to me, I sadly cannot say the same for the characters. Alyrra was a really interesting girl and all, but there is nothing that will make me remember her in the future. I couldn't connect with her, even though I understood her actions and behavior. Another thing is that this story was full of fairytale moments, or deus ex machina if you wish. Things happened out of a sudden, without prior building to them.

       Despite that, I have to admit that it was a pleasant read, with some interesting twist and turn and probably something that younger readers will enjoy much more.

Rating: 3 stars.

Until the next time,
*NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided via NetGalley. Thank you! All opinions are personal.

Broj komentara: 7:

  1. Aww that's a shame that the characters weren't very memorable, Tanja. I was interested in this one mostly because Jenny designed the lovely cover, but I'm going to lower my expectations when I get to it.
    Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Sorry this wasn't a wow you type of read but it doesn't seem like you regret reading it either so that's good. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I think it was Jenny's cover that made you remember this one. I didn't notice it on Netgalley, so strange that it didn't catch my eye, but I'm sorry it was a disappointment! But things happening and being resolved without build-up would surely bother me too.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I haven't paid much attention to this one until now, but glad to hear the concept and setting were well done

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I was attracted to Torn because of pretty cover but gave up on requesting it in the end. I think it was a good choice. I am not sure if I would have connected to the characters either.
    Nice review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Ah, damn. When you cannot connect with the characters... That there is a major flaw. Nonetheless, it's still godd that you enjoyed most parts of this book. I wish you'd been blown away by it though. I guess I'll skip this one. Great review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. This one sounds like a decent read, but also like it wasn't anything too new or special. I am a character driven reader and knowing that the characters were hard to connect to and like is the biggest turn off for me. I think I will skip out on this one. Nonetheless, great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...