14. svi 2015.

Series Review: Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs


My rating: 4 stars


Book summary:

"Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water..."

http://www.goodreads.com/series/40932-mercy-thompson


       Don't you just love it when great series keep coming your way? And when little something extra comes in a form of two great girls who are buddy reading it with you? After finishing Kate Daniels, I realized that I am not ready to part ways with urban fantasy, so picked up Moon Called and the rest is history.

What I liked?

  • Mythology. Patricia Briggs gave us this weird, but little bit closer to the roots, mash up of different paranormal creatures. Vampires are not sparkling, alluring creatures who are fighting for their humanity (even if some of them are more likeable than the others). Werewolves are beasts who need every ounce of self-control and rigid pack rules to keep their wilder half at bay. And fae... You know how Karen Marie Moning portrayed them in Fever series? You'll find something like that here. But the best part for me way all bits and pieces of Native American mythology mixed into everything. 
  • Coyote and the walking stick. Speaking about mythology and weird things happening all around, I have to mention my two absolute favorite - Coyote, Native American deity, and the walking stick - not actual living creature, but fae object of power that follows Mercy around. 
  • Pack hierarchy. I felt like it would be the closest thing if something like this would actually exist in real world.  
  • Secondary characters. They are so well developed. Asil, Honey, Warren, Kyle, Samuel, Stefan, Darryl... and of course, Coyote.

What I didn't like that much?

  • In the first two or three books I couldn't really feel connection between Adam and Mercy. I needed a time to accept them as a power couple of this fictional world, but once I did, I absolutely loved their interactions.
  • Some of the sequels dragged a little bit, not even mystery managed to make up for it because it was predictable. That is why I am happy that I waited this long to read Mercy Thompson - otherwise I'd probably postpone reading new books after the latest one disappointed me. 

Happy reading,

Broj komentara: 9:

  1. Great review, I can't wait to read this series!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Awesome review. There are some great UF series out there!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Mythology? I never would have thought. Interesting. But I'm going to be honest with you: I'm not a fan of werewolves as creatures in romances. I've tried many and was always left with a feeling of discontempt, sadly, regarding the plot, the characters, the romance, etc. Anyway, I might try it only because I like giving books a chance and because of its popularity! Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I've been meaning to read this series for ages! I (mostly) love it when the mythology sticks to the classics. The secondary characters sound fantastic as well! I'm not sure about the predictable mysteries though. Those would be huge letdowns. :(

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I really need to catch up on this series, it is so darn good!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I can't believe I haven't read of this series yet. I know that you loved this book and the series, it's especially rare to have a solid and strong series such as this. Great review, Glass!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I have not read this series yet but I have heard only love for it.
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. First you temped me with your GR updates, and now this review! Recently I tend to read standalones, and eight books is a big commitment for me, but I think I’ll give this series a try.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Not necessarily my kind of reads, but this still sounds like a nice series and it's great that you liked it. Nice review, Glass!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...