2. kol 2014.

ARC Review: The Lonely by Ainsile Hogarth

Buy the book at 
Author's 
Publication Date: September 8th 2014

Book summary:
A darkly humorous and imaginative story
After she discovers The Terrible Thing, Easter Deetz goes looking for her sister, Julia, but ends up pinned under a giant boulder with her legs crushed into tomato paste. Bored, disappointed, and thoroughly dismembered, Easter slowly bleeds to death in The Woods with only sinister squirrels to keep her company. As The Something Coming draws closer, memories of Easter's family surface like hallucinations: a mumbling father who lives alone in the basement; a terrifying grandmother who sits in her enclosed porch all day; an overly loving mother who plays dead in the bathtub on Sunday nights.
As the story of her life unspools, Easter realizes she's being stalked, making it very difficult for her to bleed to death in peace. Will The Something Coming save her? Or will it do her in entirely?
          "A darkly humorous and imaginative story" are probably the best words to describe this story, as it was just that. Story at first seems childish with the names like "The Terrible Thing" and "The Something Coming" but in reality this story deals with really tough and dark life story.

          At the start we meet Easter, our main character of this story. While running away from The Terrible Thing she finds herself in The Woods, looking for her sister Julia. Only suddenly something terrible happens and her legs get crushed. She knows she has a little time left but still she is not alone. While unwrapping her memories and remembering all terrible things that happened to her she knows that she is being stalked. She is not sure if it's a friend or enemy. Is this her end or just beginning.

          This book is a really tough one to review. It is a sad and really dark story. But it is also a story that deals with tough issues and the one that will try to tell a really shocking story in a different way. I liked to put pieces together here and even now after reading this book I'm not sure I've got all of them. Somehow it is hard to wrap your mind around this story, but it stays with you for quite some time after your finish it.

          Now I have to pull that old trick from the hat and say that the reason I didn't enjoy this story as much is actually me, not the book. This book, for sure, will find its readers and people who will love and praise it. I'm happy for it and this book deserve it. But I won't be one of them. Many things about this book were hard for me to comprehend and therefore to enjoy this story, even though this story might not be written to be enjoyed. It was confusing and at moments I felt uncomfortable with it.

         Simply, there was too much darkness for me to embrace. But this book was unique, that for sure.

Rating: 3 stars. 

Until the next time,
*Note: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Flux, via NetGalley. Thank you!

Broj komentara: 20:

  1. Too much darkness? Yikes. I think I will pass on this. I do like darkness but it has to be done right and I am not sure this one will be for me.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. This one won't be for everyone so yeah. Thanks, Ali :)

      Izbriši
  2. I'm not sure I'm up for too much darkness--I definitely don't do well with those kind of stories unless I'm reallyyyy in the mood--so I'll be skipping this one. Thanks for such an honest and helpful review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Darkness is right up my alley! I like books that make me thing, and make me shiver, and make me tremble in its noir-ness. Thanks for the review, Tanja!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. The synopsis really reminded me of 127 hours. Have you watched that movie? Anyway, I am so intrigued by this title. I haven't really read something humorous and gory(?) at the same time. I am surprise that you actually pick this one up, Tanja. Although, I am disappointed that you didn't enjoy this as much and that it made you feel uncomfortable, I think I'm still going to try this one out. I'm really up for stories that linger. Thank you so much for bringing this book to my attention. Lovely review as always, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I haven't. It does sound familiar though. Honestly I didn't expect it to be this dark. I do like books that are unusual but this was a but ti much. Thanks, Sarah :)

      Izbriši
  5. It's interesting to have something different like that. I didn't know this one but I really like the cover and I confess it's intriguing. I think I'll look at more reviews. thanks girl!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I think it might be for me! Bring on the darkness! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I don't like really dark reads because I don't want to be depressed from reading. It sounds like this doesn't end happy either. I have a hard time rating a book highly if it puts me in a dark mood. Great review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It was hard to rate and review this one. Thanks, Rachel :)

      Izbriši
  8. Ah, this story sounds super weird, and I definitely have those I-want-to-read-weird-books moods. ;) This book seems to have a deeper meaning than I suppose it does, so I'm really curious about this title now. Awesome review, Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It does and you get it when you finish and think about it. Thanks, Aimee :)

      Izbriši
  9. Hm, this sounds like it is going to be a really dark read when it comes round to me. I don't mind reading such books so perhaps I will enjoy it more than you? But sometimes I have that with books to, where I find that if someone else read it they may enjoy it more than I would do. My personal example of that is The Fault In Our Stars and Hunger Games. Although I like the movies, I couldn't get into the hype surrounding the books.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Don't want much darkness these days, so I'll pass. Too bad, I really liked the cover :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. This does seem childish in a way but my first impression of it was intriguing. "Sad, dark and tough issues" make for a perfect combination, but somehow I'm a bit unsure of the book after seeing your rating. Anyway, it's nice to know you liked it just about enough. Great review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. I don't mind darkness, but I just could not get into this book. It was way too scattered and hard to figure out. I'm glad to see that you were able to finish it though and review it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...