30. kol 2014.

ARC Review: The Jewel by Amy Ewing

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.
Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.
Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.
          One of the things I like the most about fantasy is that on the surface almost all sound the same and have similar elements, but when you crack the book open and start to read it, each and every offers you a different world to get lost into. The Jewel is not as exception.

        This time we find ourselves in The Jewel and as the name itself tells a rich part, where royalty and rich people live. It's also a place of betrayals and courts games, intrigues and everything that goes with that. It's a place where outside is what matters not what happens inside. When Violet finds herself there she knows she is stuck but also that is what she is been prepared for ever since she left her family at Marsh. Only the rules both written and unwritten are something she is yet to learn.

        First of I have to say that Violet was a really great character. I liked that girl and I really connected with her. I admire her strength and abilities but also her vulnerability. Even though evil, all members of The Jewel were really nicely presented. There are also Violet's friends and all other girls that have been taken to The Jewel, with each of them being different but still we saw that even the strongest can be broken.

        Only thing in this book that felt off at the start was romance. At the start it felt weird and it took me some time to grow up to like both of them. The boy (I'm not spoiling things to you), might grew up on me. Fine, yes he is at my harem now. But at the start it wasn't like that.

        The best thing is that somehow I feel that this series is about to get better and I cannot wait to see it!

Rating: 4 stars. 

Until the next time,
*Note: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, HarperCollins, via Edelweiss. Thank you!

Broj komentara: 14:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. :)
    I can't wait until the release date, The Jewel sounds so different from my usual reads.

    I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when I found many bad reviews I'm happy I finally found one that actually says it's a great book. And that cover is stunning.
    Amazing review. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I am so excited you enjoyed this one, I really wanted to read it and now I am even more excited!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I haven't read a lot of good reviews about this one so it's nice to see you enjoyed it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this book! Now, I really really want to read it. I hear that it's a lot like the Selection by Kiera Cass but...better which is always welcome since I did not enjoy that book. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I'm so surprised you liked this one, Tanja. First Jenny from Supernatural Snark. Now you. You guys are making me take a second look at this one. I was set to hate Violet already because of all the rants I've heard about her but you liked her and it's confusing me. :P I think I'd read more reviews or wait for the next installment's feedback before I get this one. Fab review, Tanja! (:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Tanja! I know many readers haven't been impressed--and I suspect I'll fall into this category myself--but I love to read a variety of reviews and yours is exceptional. Thanks for sharing, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. When this book first came out, I was really excited to read it, and then I read all the reviews about the romance being lame and people not liking it very much. But I'm glad to read reviews like this one that say the world building is great. Lovely review Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. This one sounds promising. I love the cover especially. Great review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Well, Violet does sound like a nice and strong character. It's nice to know you connected with her. Because honestly, once you get the character, the book just ends up being great. Nice review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Honestly this is a pretty great book and so glad you liked it too. For me the creative new world building was the best part of this book. Great review.

    Do check my review of the book too here

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one Tanja! I've been really worried because some people said the romance ruined the whole book, so I'm really happy to see that you enjoyed it despite the romance. I hope I'll read it sometime soon.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. I have seen a lot of negative reviews revolving this book so it was good to see a positive one. I think most of the bloggers who read this and reviewed it were largely focused on the failed romance, which made them dislike it as a whole. It was good to see that you could look beyond that. But yeah, I might give it a try. I still have mixed feelings about this one.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. I've seen a few mixed things about this book, but I'm still excited to read it! I'm glad you enjoyed it and Violet sounds great. It seems like a lot of people don't initially like the romance. Fantastic review :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. People keep saying the romance wasn't that good. That's usually the deal breaker with me. I'm not sure if I should read it at all. I'm glad you liked it though.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...