30. ožu 2013.

The Devil's Metal by Karina Halle


Buy the book at 

Author's

Book summary: 

It’s the summer of 1974 and 21-year old Dawn Emerson has only three things she wants to do: compete one last time in the Ellensburg Rodeo, win back her ex-boyfriend Ryan, and become the best damn music journalist at Central Washington University. But all her plans are left in the dust when she’s contacted by Creem magazine to go on the road with one of her favorite groups, the up-and-coming metal band, Hybrid. 



At first the assignment reads like a dream come true. Not only will Dawn land some much-needed credibility as a female music journalist, but she’ll finally get to experience life from the other side of the stage, and maybe crack the drunken, enigmatic code that is guitarist Sage Knightly. Instead, Dawn finds herself on an aging tour bus filled with ego-maniacs, band politics and a whole lot of sex, drugs and rock n’ roll. When monsters start showing up in dressing rooms and some of Sage’s groupies become increasingly strange and dangerous, Dawn discovers the band is not only going places – they’re going straight to Hell. 


And Dawn has a backstage pass.

        Let me put this story like this. We're in '70s. You know the decade of Deep Purple, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Van Helen, Beatles...oh and Queen. I think that would be enough. So when I saw that this book tells a story about rock band in '70s I was all in.

       Dawn is the girl that tells us her story here. She is a girl from small town and her biggest wish (actually one of) is to be a music journalist. As universe has its ways of working soon enough she has been contacted by Creem - music magazine and guess what they want her to write a story about one of her fave bends - Hybrid. Plus she'd go on the road with them. Yup they're on tour and she'll be their companion in the bus. Can you imagine that - traveling with one of your fave bands, seeing all other famous bands and visiting all the festivals. You can't say no to that. I don't have to tell you about the boys from the bend. They're in the rock band and becoming really famous. Once when she arrives she meets the boys. They're all different - their lead singer Robbie is a superstar and happy to have her there but the most mysterious one is Sage. Of course you can't have a rock band without some crazy fan-girls, right. They're here too.

      So to put this in few words - this is a story about drugs, sex and alcohol or if you want it about good old Rock and Roll. When you add a bit of paranormal to all of that you get a really interesting story. I can't wait to read Sage's story.

Rating: 5 stars

Until the next time,
***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by publisher via NetGalley. Thank you. 

Broj komentara: 14:

  1. Oh, this book sounds very interesting. I ~think~ this is the same author for the book called Sins and Needles and I really wanna read that too. I don't know much about the 70s but it does sound good. I'm glad you enjoyed it Tanja! :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes it's the same author and that's the main reason I've read this book. I must read that other too :) Thanks Janhvi :)

      Izbriši
  2. I've been wondering about this book, Tanja. I've seen another friend's review and I LOVED Sins & Needles. This one sounds really different, especially with the paranormal aspect. Great review and I'm excited about those 5 stars. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes everyone love Sins & Needles! I must read that book too. I hope you'll enjoy this one :)

      Izbriši
  3. I honestly doubt I'd enjoy a story like this, but the unexpected paranormal element makes it somewhat more appealing. Besides, Karina's popularity has been steadily growing lately and even though I have yet to read one of her books, I know there must be a reason for it.
    Great review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I think there is a reason for it :) I must read that other popular book to see where I stand :) I hope you'll enjoy these books soon :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  4. This sounds like a pretty interesting read! And I can just imagine with it set in the '70s :) Awesome review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I had to read your review twice to figure out what genre the book was! The cover makes it seem like it could be fantasy, but then the synopsis was most contemporary, and and and...

    Well, anyway, I understand now. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes I was really confused when I saw paranormal in this. I expected just simple contemporary story! :)

      Izbriši
  6. TANJA!!! I finally am free to stalk your blog again! lol ;p

    This book sounds really interesting and I am very curious about the 70's and how it plays a role in this book. It sounds great! Although, that cover is really freaky. lol ;p It's giving me goosebumps.

    Anyways, I'm glad you really enjoyed this! :D Fabulous review!

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh here is my little stalker! :D What's up! ;)

      Yeah 70's were cool. Yes cover is a bit strange but yeah the story is great.
      Thanks girl :) <3

      Izbriši
  7. Obviously, there was a lot of buzz for this book when it first came out, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it, but the new publishing deal caught my attention, and I requested it from NetGalley once it became available. It’s interesting that you mention most of the female characters are either victims or villains, that wouldn’t have been something I’d pick up on my own, probably, so it’s nice to hear your perspective before reading this myself.

    regards,
    zaira of Hunting and Fishing Stores

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...