14. ožu 2013.

Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff

Buy the book at

Author's 

Book summary:

The city of Ludlow is gripped by the hottest July on record. The asphalt is melting, the birds are dying, petty crime is on the rise, and someone in Hannah Wagnor’s peaceful suburban community is killing girls.


For Hannah, the summer is a complicated one. Her best friend Lillian died six months ago, and Hannah just wants her life to go back to normal. But how can things be normal when Lillian’s ghost is haunting her bedroom, pushing her to investigate the mysterious string of murders? Hannah’s just trying to understand why her friend self-destructed, and where she fits now that Lillian isn’t there to save her a place among the social elite. And she must stop thinking about Finny Boone, the big, enigmatic delinquent whose main hobbies seem to include petty larceny and surprising acts of kindness.


With the entire city in a panic, Hannah soon finds herself drawn into a world of ghost girls and horrifying secrets. She realizes that only by confronting the Valentine Killer will she be able move on with her life—and it’s up to her to put together the pieces before he strikes again.


      This was my first book by Brenna. Even though I've seen her book The Replacement around, you can't help but to notice that lovely cover. So once when this book was announced I realized that it was time for me to meet her characters.

       To say that Paper Valentine wasn't mysterious and thrilling would be a mistake. I as a huge fan of all crime TV-shows couldn't help but to enjoy this mystery. We read Hannah's story here. She is a typical teenage girl but when her best friend Lillian died six months ago her life changed. She tries to get back on track but you can't  do so when Lillian's ghost is haunting her around. Having some things unfinished Lillian tries to get Hannah to investigate her death. The things get more complicated when more girls get killed and now they have a serial killer in their town. In the meantime Hannah's life start to change. She is growing up and some of her views aren't same as before. Also she meets Finny the boy who is always judged by his look and no one tries to actually get to know him.

       Well I, as a huge fan of Criminal Minds, failed to get who the killer was. Dammit! That was the part of this story that I really liked. It was mysterious enough and it kept me in agony for some time. But some other parts of the book weren't so thrilling. Firstly the characters both Hannah and Finny. She was a really sweet and likable character but I thought that we needed someone stronger and more unpredictable - as a matter of fact - for this story. Also Finny was really great and everything but at some points I felt like I was missing something like I didn't know him.

       All in all - this was a really interesting and fast read.

Rating: 4 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 20:

  1. Hahahaha I watch lots of Criminal Minds-esque shows as well and I too failed to peg the killer Tanja! *sigh* Clearly we are not meant for law enforcement:) I'm really glad you enjoyed this one overall despite not feeling like you knew Finny all that well, I just loved this book!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. LOL! I knew we must have more thing in common! :D Dang and I was so sure I'd get this one. :) Yes a really great read :)

      Izbriši
  2. I've been really curious about this one, but I've heard some mixed reviews. Its funny cause I like Criminal Mind shows as well, but I don't read books that involve the topic lol Maybe I should start giving them a try! Awesome review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I usually don't read them either but I didn't know this one was about murdering and everything. LOL it seems like a lot of like that TV show! :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  3. I've read all of Brenna's books, and while Paper Valentine is my least favorite, it's still an excellent read. I love crime fiction, crime TV, crime everything so this worked wonderfully for me.
    Great review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh really? Then I need to read the others too. Woha I'm excited. It seems like we all bookish people kinda of love crime tv shows! :D Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  4. Glad it kept you in suspense and surprised you with the killer. I haven't read any of her books yet, but have seen them around a lot.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah I've seen them around too! :) I hope you'll get to read them soon :)

      Izbriši
  5. I love books that involve mystery and I'm really glad to hear you liked this - I'll be reading it soon!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I've really come to enjoy the mystery aspects of books now too, I especially enjoy them when I'm unable to guess who the killer is too! So glad you enjoyed this Tanja, I'm hoping to read it soon! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes and then at the end you get so surprised that you can't believe it! :) I hope you'll enjoy it too :)

      Izbriši
  7. I don;t know why but this book makes me think of The Liar Society. There is a ghost of a girl's twin sister hanging around and although the sister can't see her she does try to solve the mystery of her death while the killer is still on the loose. Needless to say this book sounds awesome! I've read The Replacement and was wondering if it was as dark but it doesn't seem so which is good because that book was DARK.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I haven't read The Liar Society so I have no idea. This wasn't so dark but had enough mystery :)

      Izbriši
  8. I was hoping we would get to find out more about Finny, too. Still, I liked this overall, and I'm so glad you did too. :) Great review as always!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah I wanted to know more about him :) Thanks Sam :)

      Izbriši
  9. I have read a lot of positive reviews for this one, and I am very intrigued by the unique concept. I really need to make time for this one. And the characters sound fantastic....

    OH MY GOSH...okay get ready total gush moment coming here....I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVVVVEEE CRIMINAL MINDS!!!! I love the not knowing and the surprises and gosh, I just love that show. So that is how i know I will enjoy this book! I can't wait to pick it up!

    Glad you enjoyed this Tanja! Fabulous review! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. OH YEAH!! :D Criminal Minds rock really! :) I must see all the new episodes once my holidays kick in :) It's so great to know that you love it too!!! :DD Thanks Maida :))

      Izbriši
  10. Paper Valentine does sound interesting- that's the only word I can think of to describe this book! I'm glad you enjoyed it, but at the same time, it is a little annoying for me when I can't understand stuff. Yet, I'll definitely try to read this soon! Awesome review, Tanja! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It is interesting so you're right :) Oh I love it when I have no clue who the killer is and them I'm watching all the characters closely! :D Thanks :)

      Izbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...