25. stu 2014.

Nocte ( The Nocte Trilogy, #1) by Courtney Cole

 By the book:
Author's:

My rating: 3 stars

Book summary:

"Save me and I'll save you...

My name is Calla Price. I’m eighteen years old, and I’m one half of a whole.
My other half-- my twin brother, my Finn-- is crazy. 
I love him. More than life, more than anything. And even though I’m terrified he’ll suck me down with him, no one can save him but me.
I’m doing all I can to stay afloat in a sea of insanity, but I’m drowning more and more each day. So I reach out for a lifeline. 
Dare DuBray. 
He’s my savior and my anti-Christ. His arms are where I feel safe, where I’m afraid, where I belong, where I’m lost. He will heal me, break me, love me and hate me. 
He has the power to destroy me. 
Maybe that’s ok. Because I can’t seem to save Finn and love Dare without everyone getting hurt. 
Why? Because of a secret. 
A secret I’m so busy trying to figure out, that I never see it coming. 
You won’t either."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23312692-nocte?ac=1

       One of the books I have been anxiously waiting to read this November was new Courtney Cole novel, Nocte. After so many mysterious teasers and no actual synopsis until the very end, I was so curious to see what it will be about. Am I happy that I read it? Absolutely! But was it what I expected? Sadly, no.

It was unexpectedly expected.

      Maybe the problem is me and not the book. This year I've read several novels with the same general idea but different approach. I won't talk about what Nocte is about, because everything could be possible spoiler and trust me, you do not want even a hint of the spoiler if you wish to enjoy reading this book. I know - I was my own damn spoiler. I guessed what is the big secret and what could have happened. Funny thing - when you read enough stories that should leave you with your mouth hanging open and buzzing in your ears (maybe even a little bit of terror and repulsion), you figure out pattern of those stories. That shocking moment is never really a surprise for you.

Bad writing.

      I was talking with my friend about this book and she asked me to explain what was the biggest no for me. It wasn't the fact that I new what would happen - actually, I really enjoyed reading it despite that, I was curious to see how will everything unravel. Thing that annoyed me the most was writing. Cliche and repetitive, making it impossible to get into the fictional world and forget everything else. 

I'm wondering...

...what will other two books be about, since Nocte is the first book of the trilogy. I will probably read them because of, as I already said, I did enjoy reading Nocte and I'm wondering what is a deal with Dare.
Should you read it? Definitely yes if you enjoy suspenseful and angsty new adult stories. 

Happy reading,

Broj komentara: 9:

  1. I liked this more than you did but I too and seriously wondering what book two will hold and of course, book three as well. I can't imagine there would be enough for three books but I guess only time will tell.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I'm sorry it wasn't that good and I hope the others will be better for you...

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Great review, Glass. Writing that you don't connect with always makes it hard to enjoy a book no matter how great the plot/characters might be. I've been seeing very mixed reviews on this one. I have been wanting to try a Courtney Cole book for a while, too.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I'm absolutely in love with this cover but I find it so sad this you just couldn't connect with it :( It also always worrying when you don't know how a series can continue, at least plot wise. Hopefully in the end the sequels end up working better for you. Thanks for the lovely review Glass :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I've read one or two books by Courtney Cole and I have always struggled with her writing style, so it's not only you, Glass. Also, the fact that the big revelation was predictable doesn't excite me at all. I'm one of those readers who is able to guess stuff early on (Like with We Were Liars) and that just destroys my enjoyment of a book.
    Sorry this was a mediocre read for you, Glass! :(

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I have read two of Cole's romances and they were okay. I am intrigued by the big mystery but the mediocre writing puts me off. I am in the middle of a slump so this isn't the book for me right now.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. This one looked interesting before but now I'm just turned off. I'll skip it. Thanks for you review Glass :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. It is so hard when the writing doesn't allow you to slip into the world. I think you did a fantastic job of reviewing this book and keeping it spoiler free. *passes you a cookie*

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. This is one of the books which I will unashamedly admit is simply on my TBR shelf because of its gorgeous cover xD But it did have an interesting synopsis as well which I hoped I would like. The plot sounds like it is good with a big twist in it, but it's a shame that the writing style let you down a bit :( Having a good style can make a world of a difference! Great review, especially as this was a hard one to keep spoiler free.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...