11. stu 2014.

ARC Review: The Unhappening of Genesis Lee by Shallee McArthur

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
Seventeen-year-old Genesis Lee has never forgotten anything. As one of the Mementi—a small group of genetically-enhanced humans—Gena remembers everything with the help of her Link bracelets, which preserve memories perfectly. But Links can be stolen, and six people have already lost their lives to a memory thief, including Gena’s best friend.
Anyone could be next. Which is why Gena is less than pleased to meet a strange but charming boy named Kalan who claims that they’ve not only met, but that Gena knows who the thief is.
The problem is, Gena doesn’t remember Kalan, she doesn’t remember seeing the thief, and she doesn’t know why she’s forgetting things— or how much else she might forget. As growing tensions between Mementi and ordinary humans drive the city of Havendale into chaos, Gena and Kalan team up to search for the thief. And as Gena loses more memories, they realize they have to solve the mystery fast.
Because Gena’s life is unhappening around her.
        Welcome to the typical day in my life, when I'm just browsing Edelweiss/NetGalley and suddenly I see a pretty cover and why wouldn't I download it! Right, so yeah week as I am I go for it. I did that countless times and (oops) I did it again with this book. I found The Unhappening of Genesis Lee one day at Edelweiss and well here I am writing a review for it.

        First element in this story that grabbed me was the whole eidetic memory idea which was always fascinating to me. Now imagine a world or maybe even future where world is developed that much that people actually have the capacity to have internal but also external memory connected to you by technology. Seems freaky and it is for me. It'd be amazing to remember all the good things from life, but there are also bad ones. I do appreciate my brain as it tends to forget about bad things often enough. Like I said freaky and scary but at the same time we never know what future brings.

       Even though it freaked me out, this book has also got me amazed and really invested in the story. I really got the whole idea. Another important thing is that the romance here was so good! I loved it and how it was developed. We have had enough first meetings for the lifetime, I believe, but still Kelan and Gena had that chemistry necessary for the book.

       Despite freaking me out and driving me crazy at the moments, this book still offered a really interesting idea which is nicely done. A story that I'll think about even some time after reading it.

Rating: 3.5 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 11:

  1. Darn those gorgeous covers, thankfully every now and then that impulse to buy and look because of a cover pays off.

    It sounds like this was completely unique and interesting, every bit as much as that cover.

    Wonderful review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Yay, this sounds like a impulse click that turned out great! The whole eidetic memory idea you mentioned sounds strange and fascinating at the same time.
    Glad you enjoyed the story between moments of freaking me out and it driving you crazy :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I'm guilty of picking books for their covers too :D This one sounds a great pick though, the story seems totally my kind. I'll need to add it to my wishlist!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Ooh freaky things! I'm curious, Tanja! I downloaded this book when it was available too and it expired way before the release date, so I went back to see if I could download it and they had removed it. -_-
    Anyways, it sounds like it has a really fascinating concept and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it overall.
    Lovely review, girl!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Okay, so this book went completely under my radar, but this sounds like something I would really enjoy. I'm always fascinated with a sci-fi books that deal with genetic enhancement, so I think I'll probably give this one a try. Great review Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I'm definitely going to give this a try! I love books that creep me out and that pull me in, and this sounds like it does just that. Thanks for sharing Tanja, and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Glad your cover impulse download worked out! I think this sounds absolutely fascinating. I've seen a few fictional uses of eidetic memory (mostly on TV) and I'm always intrigued by the idea. Definitely want to check this out - lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Wow, it sounds like this book left quite an impact on you Tanja! I've never read a book with a character with an eidetic memory, that would definitely be interesting and it sounds profound. Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I like the idea of a book that leaves you thinking about it afterwards! I have seen the cover to this book around quite a bit, but this was the first review I saw of it. It sounds good - and I love the freaky but cool idea of a perfect memory. I wonder if all the emotions felt at the time tag along with the feeling too. I might try it too, but not sure yet :D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Hahaha! Cannot resist a pretty cover, eh? I totally get you there, and this book does sound interesting. I've always been fascinated by memory and technolgy, so this sounds really good as a basis or something like that, like an introduction and being fiction, it's a major plus. Great review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...