15. stu 2014.

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.
Maybe that was always beside the point.
Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.
That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .
Is that what she’s supposed to do?
Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?
         My not reading blurbs before starting books is usually a great thing and it usually pays of, but sometimes it backfires and I get here where am at the moment. So Rainbow Rowell is one of those authors I have heard amazing things about, but haven't read any of her books. So when girls proposed it for a read-a-long I was why not!? As I haven't read the blurb I had no idea what this book was about.

         And Landline is about all those things that seem so far away from me and it's full of adult things that I have hard time understanding. Words like marriage and husband and kids are pretty abstract for me. I know their meaning but to apply them in my life is usually when I refer to someone else and never about me. So it's not a surprise that I never connected with Georgie and her life story, which influenced by feelings for this book.

         Landline didn't have only that one issue. It's actually the state of this book that is somewhere between fantasy and reality. It's a mix I usually love to see in books, but here not really. Not even I could decide what to believe in.

         Still there is hope for me and other Rowell books, as I really liked the writing here and how she made the story real. It was obvious that she knows how to write a story so I just need to read the right one. Hopefully I'll not have to search for long.

Rating: 2 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 14:

  1. I didn't read this one exactly for the reasons you mentioned, Tanja. I don't like books about marriages in crisis because I have no understanding of such things. I'm sad that your first Rowell book was such a disappointment. You should definitely try Fangirl though. It's super cute!
    Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. This book surprised me a lot as well, I mean the reality and paranormal twist just didn't work for me you know? Plus the blurb gave me a different reaction to what was actually in the book. Great review Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I can understand why it would be hard to relate to the issues in Landline when you haven't been married or had children yet. I wonder what your opinion would be after that? It would be an interesting experiment to compare later, right? Great honest review, Tanja! I hope your next experience with RR is better. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I can understand your point. I haven't read anything by her yet, but your review makes I think I'll probably start with one of her YA novels. :) Good review, but sad that you didn't end up loving it much.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Well, this is disappointing
    I have read Eleanor and Park and it was amazing
    I am still going to read her other books because this author seems like she knows what she is doing
    Your reader
    Soma R/
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Like you, I've heard so much about her, but I only tried reading Eleanor & Park and frankly, I never finished. I was just bored. So I somehow think her books aren't for me, what with my reluctance to read contemporary and all.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. LOVE this author and I loved her other adult book, Attachments. But when I found out this was magical realism, I decided to skip it.
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Oh I'm sorry this one wasn't that good. I haven't read it, only Fangirl and it was an interesting one. One day I'll have to try something else.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I bought this thinking I would love it as much as Fangirl and then all the reviews started showing up saying basically the same thing you are, that this just didn't live up to it, which makes me sad.
    Oh well, hopefully her next book is better. I don't think I am going to waste my time on this now. Too many other books out there that I know I will like more.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. I love Rainbow Rowell, but haven't picked this one up for all the reasons you didn't like it: husband, marriage, children, not things that apply to me so I don't think I would really enjoy reading about them. After your review I am definitely going to wait, probably a couple years, before picking this one up! Though I might give it to my mom...

    I do highly suggest Fangirl or Eleanor & Park though. =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. You make an absolutely great point about not being able to relate to some of the plot points, I am in the same boat and can definitely agree that would limit my ability to really care about the main character. Didn't care for Eleanor & Park, but I did love Fangirl :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. I'm really sorry to hear you didn't like this one. I still have yet to read a Rainbow Rowell book, but so far I've only heard good things.

    Anatea's Bookshelf

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. Oh, I am terrible when it comes to reading blurbs too! I fall in love with promises, seeing other reviews and also covers at times. I should read blurbs more often :3 It's a shame you didn't like this book. I have heard a lot about Rainbow Rowell's books too, and thinking about it I should probably check out some of her other ones. I don't think I would be able to relate to this story much either :/

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. Ah, I finally come across a negative review of Rainbow Rowell's book. And it makes me glad to see that, becasue hey! Not everyone likes everything, and most importantly, not everyone shoud like everything. I'm sorry this was a disappoitment for you, but I hope your next read is great. Very nice review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...