30. kol 2013.

Bend Me, Shape Me by Debra R. Borys

Buy the book at 
Author's
Book summary:
Bend Me, Shape Me is the second novel in the Street Stories suspense series and tells the story of Snow Ramirez, a bi-polar street kid about to turn 18. She’s convinced that psychiatrist Mordechai Levinson is responsible for one kid’s suicide, and may be targeting her brother Alley as his next victim. Once again, reporter Jo Sullivan finds herself the only person willing to listen to one of Chicago’s throwaway youth. 
Snow Ramirez hasn’t trusted anyone in a very long time, not even herself. Memories of her childhood on Washington’s Yakama Reservation haunt her even on the streets of Chicago. When her squat mate Blitz slits his own throat in front of her, she knows it’s time to convince someone to trust her instincts. Blitz may have been diagnosed bi-polar, like Snow herself, but no way would he have offed himself like that if the shrink he’d been seeing hadn’t bent his mind completely out of shape.
Normally she wouldn’t care. Who wasn’t crazy in one way or another in this messed up world? After all, she’d gotten out from under the doctor’s thumb weeks ago and it was too late for Blitz now, wasn’t it? Snow’s little brother Alley, though, there might still be time to save him. If only she can get reporter Jo Sullivan to believe her story before Snow loses her own mind.
         Being a reader makes you discover different things about yourself. For example, I'm huge fan of tv-crime shows and I watched who knows how many CSI and Criminal Minds episodes but when it comes to suspense or crime books I tend to avoid them. They simply don't do it for me, but maybe I will discover some book that will change my mind. This one was a nice and interesting read but it didn't bring that epiphany, nor did I expect it to. It wouldn't be fair to set my expectations that high.

          In this book you can see that while judging people by their misfortunes or general prejudice is one of mistakes people often made. This is a story about Snow, a bi-polar girl who lives on streets. Besides that she is almost 18 and half Native American and when you get all these information we can say that she is not trustworthy. At the other hand doctor Levison is a really successful psychiatrist who has a great record and who saved many kids, and of course he is well educated man which would make him a trustworthy person. But he doesn't have something Snow does - sense of family and being protective over her brother - Alley who is in danger and a dead friend on her mind - Blitz. That would make her stronger that any other prejudice. We also have Jo here, she is a journalist who is always in search for a good story but besides that she is there to help all the homeless children. Being a journalist gives her ability to offer people a chance to say their story even though sometimes it's hard to trust. And the last person who tells us a story is Lenard - Snow's uncle who brings the background and contributes to the story.

          While Snow's, Jo's and Lenard's POV change through the novel you get to see the life of homeless kids which was sometimes hard to imagine. While it was really nicely done, at the point when government was included it was too much for me. It does sound logical and everything, but for me it was unnecessary. That and the fact that it took me some time to get into the story and make differences in narrations are the reason for the rating.

Rating: 3.5 stars.

Until the next time,
***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the author. Thank you. 
I'm not paid for writing this review - I do it as a lover of written word. All opinions are personal.

Broj komentara: 29:

  1. Crime fiction never really seems to do it for me either, I've noticed, but I still can't help but be drawn to the odd title here and there. I'm glad this one wasn't a huge disappointment for you. Lovely review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah I want to try some from time to time :) Thanks Sam :)

      Izbriši
  2. Thank you, Tanja. I hope perhaps book three in the series will change your mind about crime fiction. I will do my best to win you over!

    Deb Borys

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. sorry this one didn't blow you away but I am still glad that you were able to enjoy it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I haven't heard of this one, but I doubt it's really my thing. It has a lot of interested elements, though, such as a journalist and I really love that cover and title, so maybe I'll be looking more into this after all. Thanks for sharing, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I really liked that the author included a journalist because who's better to listen then her :) Thanks Keertana :)

      Izbriši
    2. I hope you do take a look at Bend Me, Shape Me, Keertana and let me know what you think. I love writing stories with Jo Sullivan as my reporter protagonist. Ever since the first book in the series, Painted Black, she has been a great character to listen to these kids and be their advocate.

      Deb Borys

      Street Stories Suspense Novels

      Izbriši
  5. I tend to avoid the mystery books as well

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I know exactly what you mean about crime novels. I just can't get into them for some reason. I don't think this is my type of book, but it does have some interesting aspects about it. Even though it didn't blow you away, I'm glad you still enjoyed it somewhat! Great review, Tanja! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. This seems like it would be a bit of a stressful read under the best of circumstances. And while I appreciate the story has an mc with some diversity and also spotlights mental health, I'm not sure I would connect with Bend Me, Shape Me either.
    Great review, Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It might be under some circumstances. Yeah some books aren't for everybody :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  8. This book sounds really interesting, but I don't think it's for me. I'm glad you found some good in the story though even though the genre isn't really what you do :) Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I am with you. I enjoy a good crime thriller but I seldom read them. I think because they often strain beliveablity. That sounds like what happens with this one. I do like the idea of the main character having bipolar and living on the streets, that is inetersting.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Exactly. It seams empty somehow. Yeah it's different and interesting :)

      Izbriši
  10. Great review Tanja, I found the street life fascinating, and sadly a lot of these kids fall scam to gov't ideas and testing. Throughout history uneducated, homeless and mentally ill have become unwitting test subjects, or sterilized in the US and around the world. Glad you are trying this genre and I think you will find one that works for you :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. True. It was hard to imagine that :) Thanks Kim :)

      Izbriši
  11. I know what you mean, Tanja when you say that you love crime drama on TV but not much in books. The same is true for me with Sci-Fi. I love it in movies or TV but not in books. Glad to see this mostly worked out for you. Great review! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It can happen with Sci-Fi. You're right. Thanks Rachel :)

      Izbriši
  12. I'm not much into this genre either (TV shows or books) but it's good to know that you're trying it out. I must say that the story sounds really good. And even though the inclusion of government was unnecessary for you, like you said, it is logical and I think that makes it more authentic. Stories that take time to get into are always hard to review. Awesome review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Dunno...every time when you need a bad guy, oh here let's have government. It's getting old. Thanks Sarika :)

      Izbriši
  13. I've seen so many crime tv shows that I simply can guess a lot of things :) Yeah. Thanks :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. I'm always watching Castle or some other action/crime show, but for some reason, I rarely read books like them. I guess you and I are the same in that regard. Great review, this book sounds very interesting and original!

    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I haven't heard of that one. I need to check it out. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  15. I'm really into crime shows too! Still an avid CSI watcher but I don't read quite as many books like them. This one sounds interesting!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Let me know if you do check it out, Sara. I'd love to hear what you think and I hope you enjoy it. It is generating some high praise from reviewers who enjoy the genre. They get drawn into the characters' lives and many have said it is a very realistic portrayal of street life and mental health issues.

      Deb Borys
      Street Stories Suspense Novels

      Izbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...