22. kol 2013.

ARC Review: Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

Expected publication: September 10th, 2013
Author's 

Book summary: 
While flying an Allied fighter plane from Paris to England, American ATA pilot and amateur poet, Rose Justice, is captured by the Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp. Trapped in horrific circumstances, Rose finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery and friendship of her fellow prisoners. But will that be enough to endure the fate that’s in store for her?
Elizabeth Wein, author of the critically-acclaimed and best-selling Code Name Verity, delivers another stunning WWII thriller. The unforgettable story of Rose Justice is forged from heart-wrenching courage, resolve, and the slim, bright chance of survival.
           We all make bad decisions, don't we? Well one of mine was requesting this book. While Code Name Verity received numerous praises I never finished it. I tried to blame it on war stories which I didn't read but then after reading Between the Shades of Gray I though that this time around I'd enjoy this one. Well I did not.

            Like I said after never finishing Code Name Verity I needed few pages to see where I stand and to connect all the dots but once everything started to role so the issues started to appear. Me and Rose simply couldn't connect, not now and probably not ever. I couldn't feel and of her thoughts and only time I could get hints of her feelings was when she was flying. But things started to turn around with the second part of the book. After Rose was captured and sent to Ravensbruck I get to see the pain and struggle. Not Rose's but with the pictures of concentration camps and with the idea of how human life was worthless to some. Also with some of her poems which I really like this book wasn't such a disappointment to me as I initially thought.

            The author really created so realistic and heartbreaking picture of the war and pain but when you and the person who tells you the story don't connect the feeling is never complete. But at the end of the day this book accomplished its goal as it told the world. All in all, I think it's time to say goodbye to this series.

Rating: 3 stars.

Until the next time,

***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Disney via NetGalley. Thank you. 
I'm not paid for writing this review - I do it as a lover of written word. All opinions in this review are personal.

Broj komentara: 38:

  1. Jasprit from The Reader's Den didn't love this title either.. I'm not big on historicals so I'm not entirely sorry you didn't like it, I am sorry you didn't enjoy yourself though. Connecting with the MC is necessary by any means, otherwise, the book will most likely stay as an unemotional read and that's too bad. I hope you have better luck with your next read, Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm not big on historical reads either but everyone loved this series. Yes that's my opinion too. Thanks Siiri :)

      Izbriši
  2. I wasn't too keen on Code Name Verity either despite the multiple positive reviews because like you, I'm not into war stories. They just make me depressed and that's not why I read books at all. I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you as much either, Tanja. It does sound like the author did a good job at portraying the war, but it's a shame you couldn't connect with the MC.
    This is one book I'll be staying away from.
    Lovely review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I should have stayed away but I made a mistake. Anyhow some war stories I actually like, but not this one. :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  3. I hate it when you just can't connect to the main character, it always makes the read that much harder. I am sorry you didn't enjoy this one more.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes you simply cannot enjoy the book fully. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  4. I loved Code Name Verity so the bar with Rose Under Fire was set really high. My main issue with the story was the poetry. Just way to much it kept taking me out of the story and killed the pacing for me. I ended up liking the book but was still a bit disappointed overall.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I actually liked the poems, but you're right they interrupted the story. I'm glad you liked it overall :)

      Izbriši
  5. I think this book is definitely a mood read for me Tanja, I have to be in the right mood to pick it up or it just won't work. I know I won't be able to connect either, so I'm going to wait to read it until I'm feeling more like a serious read. Right now I want fun and light and entertaining! Sorry this series just didn't work for you, I hope whatever you pick up next is amazing!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You're right. Maybe they should publish it during the winter when people tend to read harder books. Thanks Jenny :)

      Izbriši
  6. It's extremely difficult to fully enjoy a story when you can't connect to the main character. Sorry this didn't work for you, Tanja. I don't think it would for me either. Great honest review. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Well, I'm glad you managed to finish this one, Tanja, though I am worried now that I won't be able to connect to the MC. In CNV the characters made all the difference. I still have to get around to this one, but hopefully we can compare notes soon! Lovely review!(:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It's me really. I couldn't connect with her in the first book nor in this one. I believe you'll love it :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  8. Oh it's a shame you didn't connect with Rose more! I can totally understand how that would affect your enjoyment of the book. I enjoyed Code Name Verity, so hopefully I'll have better luck with this Rose. I appreciate your honesty, lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I believe you'll enjoy it then as it's really similar to CNV :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  9. I didn't read my ARC of Code Verity. I just never got around to it, and honestly war stories are hard for me. I like to know more but all the horror is hard to stomach. I am concerned about the lack of connection with MC. What was it about her that you didn't like?

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I simply couldn't feel her and couldn't see any change in her emotions. She was flat. I don't like that.

      Izbriši
  10. That's too bad. I know that Code Name Verity is a favorite of a fellow blogger. She loves it. I didn't know there would be a sequel. Me and war books are all about the right time to read. I have to be in a mood because they really suck you in.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I was surprised with the sequel too. Yeah maybe I wasn't in the mood. Who knows.

      Izbriši
  11. psst...Code Verify was a DNF for me at about 120 pages..

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Oh, no, I'm sorry this disappointed you! I was so sure I'd love it, I went ahead and bought the UK edition and didn't even bother with the arc first. :)
    Hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. If you liked Code Named Verity then don't worry :) You'll love it :)

      Izbriši
  13. Oh dear, I'm sorry to see that this disappointed you. I still haven't read CNV yet, and I'm afraid to because of the intense pressure to love it...

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes it seems that people either love it or don't finish it. I hope you'll enjoy it :)

      Izbriši
  14. Sorry you didn't like this! Stories like this don't really hold my interest either. Great review and thanks for the honest opinion :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  15. I've tried to push myself to read and enjoy books that I *know* aren't for me, b/c everyone else loves it. And then you feel bad b/c you don't love this heavily praised book.
    Sorry you didn't enjoy Tanja. Nice review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes I need to stop doing that and I'll. Hopefully. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  16. I DNF'd Code Name Verity (unintentionally, I just never felt the urge to go back to it) and it's weird, cause it's my kind of book, really. It just didn't click with me. And maybe it was my mood and the fact that I didn't get far enough, but I haven't had the urge to pick it up again. I'm kind of glad to hear that I'm not the only one cause I know people just love these books!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm really glad to see that there is more people who don't enjoy these. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  17. I really loved this, though I also really loved Code Name Verity too, so I guess it was always going to work for me. I do think it can be pretty impossible to really appreciate it though if you aren't completely invested in the characters. Sorry to hear that you didn't have the emotional connection with this one, but great review! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I know you loved it and I hoped I'd too. Thanks Sam :)

      Izbriši
  18. Oh, Elizabeth Wein. I dislike (hated, actually) Code Name Verity. I wish I was like you and hadn't finished it because it didn't get any better. Kudos on trying out this one, though! Sounds like it was a tad better.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It was I think, but still it's not for me and probably not for you :)

      Izbriši
  19. Awww...Tanja! Its too bad you didn't enjoy this. I have heard so many great things about both this and Code Name Verity, and I am going to pick them up. It sucks when you can't connect with the characters, cause then you can't connect to the story emotionally either. I'm glad you enjoyed some aspects of it though. Great review, girl! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I hope you'll enjoy both more than I did! Thanks girl :)

      Izbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...