2. kol 2013.

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Pre-order at 
Author's

Book summary: 
"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.
Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 
Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 
All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.
        Here we have a lot of elements that for me would work out separately but surprisingly they can work together too. Christin's managed to put different elements together and offer some new concept to young adult literature.

        Strangely enough I have seen couple of movies where time machine was invented and that concept is old enough, but I haven't read the book with it. Or at least I can't remember. Here everything starts with Em and Finn, who are in prison and have to suffer the torture. Em knows what she must do and that would mean killing part of her past and part of herself. The one that she pushes back. Later the story changes and we switch to another narrator Marina. She is a girl who is in love with her best friend - James. They grew up together and for some reasons he had to leave for some time. After coming back he sees Marina in a new way and everything starts to sound ideal, but not for long. Soon James' life starts to fall apart and he becomes part of something even bigger than himself.
   
        While story takes turns from Em to Marina things slowly start to wrap up and the whole story gets bigger meaning. Everything then starts to build up and you see the whole picture and realize that time machine can do more than we could ever imagine. Until the end when everything culminates into the final conflict.

        Being unique and original for sure places this book high on my rating chart. This book plays with my mind and some ideas that were unimaginable here are presented. I'm still not sure how to feel about it. Only problem for me was that I couldn't feel some moments, but at the other hand this book is full of action so it's also understandable. All in all, it was a great read packed with action and unique plot.

Rating: 4 stars.

Until the next time,

***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by published, Disney Hyperion, via NetGalley. Thank you.
I'm not paid for writing this review - I do it as a lover of written word. All opinions are personal.

24 komentara:

  1. Yes and I was surprised after I realized that. Thanks Aman, I hope you'll enjoy it :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I don't read a lot of books involving time travel but this one sounds great!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Everyone is racing about this one and I see you like it too, not quite as muc, but still, you liked it we. I must pick this up with all the wonderful feedback! Great review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I wasn't sure about some ideas here, it was really hard to wrap my mind around them. Thanks Rachel :)

      Izbriši
  4. I have heard great things about this one and the synopsis has me very interested. Cant wait to get to read this one. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I'm reading this one very soon! I'm a pretty big fan of time travel. I'm glad you enjoyed it on a whole and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I can't wait to see your review! :) Thanks Sara :)

      Izbriši
  6. I'm really excited for this one since so many readers love it. I've never been a fan of time travel in books since I never feel as if it's done well, but this seems so promising! I can't wait to read it soon!(:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It's done well here, actually taken to another level. I hope you'll get to it soon :)

      Izbriši
  7. For some idiotic reason I failed to request this one, but now that all these 4 and 5-star reviews keep coming in, I am forced to reconsider. SO I went ahead and requested after all. As though I don't have enough arcs to deal with.
    And it's all your fault! *glares*

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh Maja it's a well-know circle! You think there is time and then all of a sudden it's time for you to post review xD

      Izbriši
  8. I requested this way too late and got turned down this morning... lame lame! Now I am kicking myself because I am reading such good reviews. I don't know when the last time I read a time machine travel book.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. They lose as they won't get an amazing review from you ;) You'll read it anyway soon.

      Izbriši
  9. I love time travel and am intrigued, I want to know what happens and everyone seems to love it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I really hope you'll get a chance to read it then :)

      Izbriši
  10. This book falls under which genre? It sounds really good and all that uniqueness has me intrigued. Awesome review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Time traveling :) So you wanna believe in it or not it's up to you ;) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  11. This sounds sooo interesting. I love the sound of the premise and the characters sound fantastic. And its has a unique concept..time travel...um...YES! lol ;p I can't wait to pick this up! Great review, Tanja! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. The premise for this book is so amazing! The time travel aspect sounds so cool. Great review :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. This sounds like such a unique and interesting story! I'm glad you had fun with it even if you didn't feel all the moments as much as you'd like. I guess we sacrifice a bit for action! Wonderful review :-)

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...