27. pro 2013.

Just One Year by Gayle Forman

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary 
Twenty-four hours can change your life . . .

Allyson and Willem share one magical day together in Paris, before chance rips them apart.

The romantic, emotional companion to Just One Day, this is a story of the choices we make and the accidents life throws at us.

But is one day enough to find your fate?
         If I was to sum up my review in one word that would be - cheated. It might be a strong and negative word which might be in conflict with my rating below but (there is always a but) if you have read anything by Gayle you know that her writing is something that makes you pick up stick marker and put on every other page.

         After last year's Just One Day I might say I got to in love with this story. Its uniqueness and sweetness was hard to resist and once you got to connect with Allyson and Willem and hear about their amazing time in Paris you probably dreamed about that city for a while. When that book left up with major cliffhanger beside yelling in agony I was waiting for this book like kids wait for Christmas. Mostly, I hoped that the book will continue where Just One Day stopped, but no. I felt cheated when I started Just One Year and saw that it's actually a story about Willem's life in meantime.

          It's not that I wasn't happy about seeing Willem's character in first person narrative and if you met him in Just One Day then for sure you would know that his travels were something worth reading about. They were, to some extend. I did enjoyed traveling around the world with him but I missed Allyson in a why to pull that romantic Willem out. He was mostly bittersweet here.

           His life story is interesting one, but  I wish that we got to see more of the Allyson and Willem. Sadly it didn't happen. Which is what disappointed me the most. But then again Gayle's writing remains amazing, like you could see in the quotes I picked only few days ago.

           All in all, it was an interesting read, but not kind of read I hoped for.

Rating: 3 stars. 

Until the next time,


22 komentara:

  1. I am sorry this wasn't what you were hoping it would be but I am glad you gave it a go anyways. You reminded me that I have been meaning to start this one, hopefully I will like it a little bit better than you did.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You'll have different expectations I suppose so maybe you'll enjoy it more :)

      Izbriši
  2. I know a lot of readers felt cheated by this, particularly because of the publishing. I had read Chapter 1 on Forman's website, though, so I knew it didn't pick up where Just One Day left off and since I received an ARC, I missed the huge publicity push about this being an EPIC romance and what-not. I didn't have expectations and this blew my mind since I loved its message. I feel like if "cheated" readers go back to this in a few years they'll really love it and its a shame the marketing campaign ruined this book for a lot of readers. I know early readers really tried to warn others in their reviews that the book didn't start off where Just One Day ended, but I think it's still jarring to find where this book ends. (It was for me too, but I wound up loving it, only because I masochistically LOVE open endings.) Anyway, I'm glad you still enjoyed this one, Tanja and gave it a shot. Lovely review, my friend! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I haven't read the blurb as I never do that, but yes the whole marketing thing around this one offered some different ideas :( Thanks Keertana :)

      Izbriši
  3. Sorry this one didn't work out the way you wanted. I still need to read Just One Day, so I guess it's good I know now a bit what to expect in Just One Year. Maybe I'll enjoy it more then.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Hmm, sadly I know a lot of people that felt the same about this book: how it barely held up up their expectations from the first book. Sounds like bad sequel syndrome. Maybe I should just read the first book?

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'll admire you if you resist because that cliffhanger will torture you at night ;)

      Izbriši
  5. Books with amazing stories which end with a cliffhanger are both magical and annoying. I want to hug and to throw the book at the same time, haha, so I completely understand how you felt when you finished reading the first book,

    Mada @ All Fantasy Worlds

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. I have heard so many good things about this book, so I'm this didn't work out perfectly for you.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I know what you mean, I wanted more 'after' they found each other. I desperately want to know what happens next. But I still LOVED this book. I loved reading about Willem and getting to know him. And I really loved him. So it's like I was disappointed there wasn't more, but was still super happy. It would be nice if she wrote another book with them, but I know she likes having it open so we can create our own endings. (poo)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes she does that. It was an interesting read to me too, but it wasn't as good as first. :)

      Izbriši
  8. I've still read just one day, but I understand why you feel a bit cheated with the story. I still want to check out the books and I glad you still liked the book a bit. Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. This seems to be a consistent feeling..most adored book one but the companion novel just didn't do it. Wonderful review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. This is exactly why I didn't pick this up. I knew it would be a corresponding story to their time apart from Willem's POV and I wanted the story to pick up from the ending of book one. After reading your review, I'm even more glad I didn't read this. Great review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. Ah, I think you loved the first book more because of the cliffhanger ending and though this one looks like it is a sort of necessary read, it's sad you didn't enjoy it as much as the prequel. For a series that seems like a romantic one, I would expect both the guy and the girl to have equal role in the sequel. Anyway, I loved this review (yeah, go ahead and blush- you are a great reviewer). Thank you for sharing, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...