18. velj 2013.

Just One Day by Gayle Forman


Buy the book

Author's 

Book summary:

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.


       We all know Gayle Forman, right. The lady who captivated us with a story about Mia and Adam in If I Stay series. Honestly that was the main reason why I wanted this book so badly. Luckily all the waiting payed off, cause Miss Forman really knows how to write a story.

       Allyson (later known as LuLu) is a girl with a perfect graduation gift. She has got a possibility to travel around Europe with her best friend during the summer. Only problem with traveling is that you sometimes expect too much. Not that Allyson haven't seen all the magic of European cities still the journey is not how she expected it to be. Not until the very end of it, or what she thought would be the end. In London she meets Willem who takes her to Paris - the city she mostly looked forward to. For the first time she is able to enjoy the city on her own terms. No more crazy teenagers who are there to get drunk and do stupid things. At the end it's not maybe the journey it's the company what matters the most. She discovers the beauty of Paris and something more. Something that will change her forever.

       It's fascinating, at least for me, how I could enjoy this story without finding some connections with LuLu. She is not me and dunno...I just couldn't connect with her, but still the story kept me awake at night. That's the magic of the writing. I really love the way this story is written. As for the cliffhanger - I won't forget you this Miss Forman.

Rating: 5 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 16:

  1. I think it says a lot about Gayle Forman's writing that you managed to appreciate this despite not connecting with LuLu. I'm reading it at the moment and loving it! Brilliant review, Tanja. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. It certainly does :) Oh can't wait to see your review :) Thanks Sam :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I've actually read quite a few reviews saying they didn't like LuLu but I still look forward to this. Gayle Forman is an amazing writer so I'm sure I'll still enjoy it as well.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Like I said she was not me but I could understand her :) I hope you'll like it :)

      Izbriši
  4. I haven't read anything by Gayle Tanja. I fail at life and especially at book blogging:( I've heard several people say they haven't connected all that well to the MC but that it didn't even matter because the story sucks you in anyway, and that has me really wanting to give this one a try. Not super excited for the cliffhanger, but I definitely am excited about everything else:) Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh you don't Jenny! :) Don't get me started with all the authors I still haven't met! I hope you'll enjoy this one. Thank you :)

      Izbriši
  5. I also loved this. I think the writing is what helped make this book so good :) Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. thanks for the review, i picked this book up on a whim from the library and hadnt heard much about it xxx

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Sorry you didn't connect with LuLu but it says a lot it is still a 5 star!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Wow. Now is when I realize who this author is. I can't believe myself. I kind of wonder where the parents were in all of this. I mean they just let their kids go off to Europe? I'm glad it seems that nothing bad happened with the guy. I'm so negative. She's by herself with a guy. I worry for her! I'm sure what she really found was love (;

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh they traveled with agency, had a guide and everything. Just like any usual trip. And for the love, we'll see. :)

      Izbriši
  9. Travel Europe with your best friend! WOW. :D Fantastic review, Tanja!

    Janhvi is so apprehensive to start this one because of the cliffhanger, she's not even letting me read it. ;)

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one and I hope Just Ont Year gives us a good HEA!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. AHHHH...TANJA!!! I can't wait to read this! I have heard some amazing things about it and I can't wait to meet Allyson, despite your non-connection to her. I have been waiting for a while to read this, and I can't wait to fully experience in detail Forman's writing skills.

    Glad you enjoyed this! Fabulous review, my sweet! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...