7. pro 2013.

ARC Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Buy the book at 
Amie's
Meagan's

Book summary: 
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 
Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 
Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?
Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
           I've been trying to put together this review for a few weeks now. It's not that my feelings are torn or anything, but simply most of the things I say about this book will turn you off. I don't want to do that though, cause you feel this book, that's its biggest value.

          But let's try anyhow. So as you may have heard this is a story about universe. I cannot exactly tell you where in universe as I don't know, but somewhere. We start this story on a ship, ironically called Icarus. If you know Greek mythology then you know a story about Icarus and the way he ended. Sadly someone wanted to change the story which cannot be changed. After the tragic accident we end up on some planet, again somewhere in the universe, where our only two survivors are Lilac and Tarver. Two people who are from different background and classes wherein they do no mix. But when they are alone in unfamiliar surroundings all that loses its value. Then their story begin, a story which will make you feel.

         Maybe from the previous paragraph you can see what was actually my biggest problem in this book - well, a lot of things here are left unsaid, unfinished and mostly illogical. Not that logic has much to do when you deal with supernatural, but still. I couldn't get my compass right here. It's not only that, but later when many other weird things started to happen I was lost. I still am. About the place, but not about the visual picture of it. That's done majestically.

        But on the other hand we have Lilac and Traver and their story. When I say story I don't mean strictly romance, but life story. It was magical how we see their character grow and the way their personalities change when they are out of their comfort zone. Unlike the whole would building that was lacking here (in terms of space position and orientation) the building of their character and their feelings was completely different.

        All in all, this book left me with plenty of questions, while I usually hat that here some other aspects left me wanting for more. But still I cannot get rid of that frustration.

Rating: 4 stars.

Until the next time,

***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Disney Hyperion, via NetGalley. Thank you.
I'm not paid for writing this review - I do it as a lover of written word. All opinions are personal.

Broj komentara: 28:

  1. I have heard good things about this one but the whole universe thing never appealed to me but with all the good reviews it does make me want to pick it up and see what all the fuss is about.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I hope you'll give it a try :) Maybe you'll enjoy it more than you expect :)

      Izbriši
  2. Yes it's not the book you read in one sitting it's more like you enjoy it bits by bits :) I hope you'll enjoy it at the end :) Thanks Aman :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I really ended up enjoying this one :) It was great because I was just expecting the typical romance. Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I do agree that towards the end a LOT is left unexplained, but I was willing to overlook that for the HEA we got. I really needed it since I was in so much emotional turmoil during this novel. I'm glad you still enjoyed it, though, Tanja - great review!(:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes that HEA was really unnecessary :) Thanks Keertana :)

      Izbriši
  5. Great review, Tanja. It's nice to see you enjoyed this in spite of having some issues. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Sorry you had a lot of questions, but hopefully the second novel will clear some things up! It still seems like a pretty interesting story overall.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I've heard only flowing things about this book, so it's nice for a bit of an alternate pov. I'm glad you liked, despite the questions.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. I really enjoyed this book because I just loved Lilac and Tarver! You are right this book really does make you feel. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. That's really interesting to know because the logic thing would bother me too. I don't care if it's fantasy or whatever, if it doesn't really make sense, I'm out, However, everything else seems awesome!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes, sometimes I know it's totally illogical to think that way, but I do :D Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  10. aww I am sorry this book left you frustrated, I am still looking forward to hopefully reading it. Kind of excited that it's coming out this week. But i can see the logic behind your frustration as well. At least you had the good and the bad covered!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It's worth reading, but you get used to that frustration :)

      Izbriši
  11. I saw a lot of 5-star reviews for this book but I think that all the things that bothered you would irritate me to. Now I am not so sad I didn't get approved for ARC. :)
    Nice review Tanja.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. My review goes up for this on Wednesday. I grasped the whole concept at the end and I had no problems with it. Yes, it is bizarre and different, but I so love that it caught me off guard. I really ended up loving this one.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm so happy to hear that Heidi. Cannot wait to read your review :)

      Izbriši
  13. I'm in the middle of reading this one now, so I'm trying to just skim reviews, but I'm definitely worried that you have a lot of unanswered questions. I'll come back and give this review a proper read when I finish the book (hopefully tonight). Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I cannot wait to see what you think of it. Thanks Lauren :)

      Izbriši
  14. I just got this one and am pretty excited to read it. I have heard only good things so far, but I'm prepared for some things to not be perfect. Sc-fi tends to be hit or miss but I think I should like this one.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  15. There were some weird things in it that I did not expect, so I can see how that's thrown some people off! I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part though, Tanja. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  16. Oh my God! You got to read this! I am so excited for that itself. I'm in love with that cover which alone is enough for me to look forward to the book. I'm not a huge Greek mythology lover myself and when a book makes you want to question it and tends to frustrate you, it can go either way- you can love it or hate it. I'm glad this falls more along the love side for you and I hope I can read it soon too. Beautiful review!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...