31. pro 2013.

End of Year Book Survey

Hi all. This is something many other bloggers do every year but this year Glass and I decided to join all the fun. We'd love to thank Jamie @The Perpetual Page-Turner for organizing this. If you wanna join check out this post. This year was amazing to both of us and he we go with some best things. Shall we start.
1. Best book you've read in 2013? 
Tanja: I thought I'd be able to only pick one. Yeah, so I divided it into genres. Then I had to pick more than one for genres (I know, I know but this is like asking to pick your fave child). So for fantasy: Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta, Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas, The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson. For contemporary: The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Stolen by Lucy Christopher. My paranormal pick is Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout. And finally historical fiction - Between the Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.
Glass:  That is a dangerous question. You do not ask a true bookworm to decide. Ugh... I'll try. Fantasy: Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta and Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. Contemporary: Pushing the Limits novels by Katie McGarry, Wicked Beat by Olivia Cunning, Bully by Penelope Douglas. Paranormal: Lover At Last by J.R. Ward. Only historical I read this year is Between the Shades of Gray.

2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't?
Tanja: Again few of them but I'll settle with Just One Year by Gayle Forman.
Glass: I can not believe that I will say this, but that would be latest Bloodlines novel, The Fiery Heart.

3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013?
Tanja: Bully by Penelope Douglas (mostly I though I'd never enjoy NA again) and South Hill Sidekicks series by Leah Spiegel and Megan Summers (I though I'd never enjoy chick-lit in my life.)
Glass: Definitely, Maybe in Love by Ophelia London - so far I wasn't the biggest fans of retellings, but this new take on Pride and Prejudice made me swoon to the moon and back.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013
Together: We both agree on this one - Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013? 
(Apart from above mentioned Lumatere Chronicles)
Tanja: I'd just add Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.
Glass: I was all about standalones this year, but I'd add Chaos series by Kristen Ashley.

6. Favorite new author you've discovered in 2013?
Tanja: I'm truly trying to pick just one but it's hard: Ruta Sepetys and Lucy Christopher.
Glass: Definitely Ruta Sepetys - she is something special. Also, I have to mention Laura Nowlin.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Tanja: I already answer on this question in question #3 but I shall add The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams.
Glass: I don't think anything was out of my comfort zone - I have very "tolerant" comfort zone, but I did read one book that was a little bit different - The Social Code by Sadie Hayes.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Tanja: Uh I'll go with Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas.
Glass: Oh, boy... Hottest m/m romance I've read so far, Try by Ella Frank.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Tanja: I don't think I'll have time for re-readings.
Glass: Me too, but I'd love to read Clockwork Princess again.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013.
Tanja: It's hard to miss this one.
Glass:


11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Tanja: Meda from Cracked by Eliza Crewe.
Glass: Quintana from Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Tanja: The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan.
Glass: Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Tanja: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Mostly because it's based on real-life story and history firstly. It was hard not to hate the human race for certain things from the past.
Glass: I agree with Tanja, but I'd add Taming the Beast by Emily Maguire.

14. Book you cannot believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Tanja: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. But mostly because everyone else have read it and I was like the only person who hasn't. I didn't miss a lot though.
Glass: My Name Is Memory by Ann Bashares.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
Tanja:
(photo credit: Kyla Cincinat's pinterest)

16. Shortest & longest book you read in 2013?
Tanja: I won't count short novellas so the shortest Mission One of Auggie the Alien and the longest is The Wise Man's Fear.
Glass: Longest would be After by Varian Krylov, shortest... I wouldn't know - I'm guessing all those novellas.

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?
Together: That first kiss in Crash Into You. That was something else.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013?
Tanja: I'll go with Chaol and Celaena here.
Glass: Michael and Eve from Morganville Vampires by Rachael Caine.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously?
Together: Once again - Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta.

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?
Tanja: Everything I read is more or less based solely on recommendations but let's say Between the Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (thanks Miss).
Glass: If He Has Been With Me by Laura Nowlin.

21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Tanja: Fantasy win this one for me.
Glass: Contemporary romance.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Tanja: There is like a huge list but newest one is I think Tarver from These Broken Stars.
Glass: Kristen Ashley's alpha men.:)

23. Best 2013 debut you read in 2013?
Tanja: I'd say Arrow of the Mist by Christina Mercer and The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay.
Glass: Bully by Penelope Douglas - thank you Zemira form making me read this.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in book you read in 2013?
Tanja: Oh gosh, any. I mean whenever someone manages to create a new and unique world my heart grows a bit. I admire those people a lot.
Glass: World After by Suzan Ee. And of course, Melina Marchetta books.

25. Book that was most fun to read in 2013?
Tanja: I think South Hill Sidekicks series. I cannot pick just one.
Glass: I had so much fun buddy reading Reaper's Property by Joanna Wylde.

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
Tanja: Lots of them but I think Me Before You by Jojo Moyes the most.
Glass: Definitely Between the Shades of Gray - that book is our "theme song" for 2013.
Tanja: Agreed!

27. Book that you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
Tanja: The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan.
Glass: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

1. New favorite blog you discovered in 2013?
Together: Now this is truly a hard question and we've met some amazing people. So we're gonna mention them all (Hopefully we won't forget someone and we're so SORRY if we do) because they all made us better reviewers and not to mention that without them this bookish world wouldn't be as amazing as it is. So: Keertana @Ivy Book Bindings, Ali @My Guilty Obsessions, Kim @Caffeinated Book Reviewer, Sarika&Janhvi @The Readdicts, Candace @Candace's Book Blog,  Nick @Nick's Book Blog, Heidi @Rainy Day Ramblings, Aman @Enticed by Books, Rachel&Jasprit @The Reader's Den, Girls @Readers in Wonderland, Mel @YA Midnight Reads, Andrea @The Bookish Babe, Siiri @Little Pieces of Imagination, Brandi @Blkosiner's Book Blog, Sam @Realms of Fiction, Maja @Nocturnal Library, Jenny @Supernatural Snark, Adriana @She's Got Books on Her Mind,  Janina @Synchronized Reading, Sara @Forever 17 Books, Sandra @Sandra's World of Books, Mag @Shooting Stars Mag, Evie @Bookish, Teresa @Reader Lives a Thousand Lives. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 
Glass: Joined reviews and this one.
Tanja: Every review means something but I think my fave would be all our joined reviews. These are the funniest to write.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Together: We don't make many discussion posts but our Bookish Problems posts brought some amazing ideas.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog?
Glass: I read several of those, mostly regarding the whole point of blogging.
Tanja: I honestly cannot think of any.

5. Best event that you participated in?
Glass: Unfortunately, we do not have big book signings and we can't meet our favourite authors, but I did visit few regular book fairs in my town and I got some cheap books.
Tanja: Well because I don't live in a cool country we don't get amazing book signings etc, but this year I visited one of the biggest book fairs in our region (Belgrade, Serbia) and it was truly eye-opening experience for me.

6. Best moment of book blogging/your life in 2013?
Glass: This whole year was amazing - thank you guys for following us and talking with us. But mostly of all, I am grateful for meeting my girls - what started as chatting about books, turned out to be true friendship. Zemira, Zrinka and my lovely Tanja, I love you, girls!
Tanja: It's hard to point just to one. There's been some amazing moments this year but for blogging whenever someone stops by and comments it meas a lot. But yeah, you girls mean so much to me!

7. Most popular post this year on your blog?
Together: Not surprisingly but two our giveaways - Something Wicked returns and Redesign post.

8. Post you wished got a little more love?
Glass: I don't think there was any post that you guys didn't read and told us what you thought about it. Thank you!
Tanja: Each got some love and that's pretty amazing.

9. Best bookish discover?
Glass: Albite Reader - that app is my absolute favorite.
Tanja: The award goes to Awesomebooks!

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Glass: I am terrible with those, but I did finish my Goodreads 2013 Challenge.
Tanja: I actually did two which kinda of makes me really happy. I've managed to accomplish my 2013-TBR-Pile-Challenge and the one at Goodreads where I challenged myself to read 200 books this year.

1. One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014? 
Together: Allegiant by Veronica Roth. We're working on it.

2. Book you're most anticipating for 2014(non-debut)? 
Glass: Flying by Megan Hart and Devil's Game by Joanna Wylde.
Tanja: Once again I cannot pick just one so: Ignite Me by Tehereh Mafi, Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater, Throne of Glass #3 by Sarah J. Maas and many, many more.

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating? 
Glass: Beautiful Addictions by Season Vining.
Tanja: I cannot wait to read No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale.

4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?
Glass: House of Night - I just want to get over with it already.
Tanja: Ignite Me by Tehereh Mafi for sure.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?
Glass: I hope I'll be less lazy and write more posts during 2014.
Tanja: Mostly I hope I'll get to read 200 books at least next year again. Also to manage to post on the blog and visit other blogs as much as I can. Hopefully I'll meet some new bloggers again.

It was an amazing year for us and we look forward 2014! Hope it'll bring us more fun and joy! 
Till the next year, 



24 komentara:

  1. So much fun! I really enjoyed your answers, and it's been reaffirmed that Glass and I have similar reading preferences. (I'm actually reading Reaper's Property right now!)

    Thanks for the shout out, and Happy New Year!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes you two have similar taste :) Thanks Andrea :)

      Izbriši
  2. Wow, great book survey!
    Love the fact that you both answered in the same posts, it feels like I'm havign a chat with two bookworm friends at a nice cup of tea. Lovely :)

    Mada @ All Fantasy Worlds

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes we love to make posts together ;) Thanks Mada :)

      Izbriši
  3. Yeah, I was kind of disappointed with TFH too, glass. I actually ended up DNFing. :( I also read Between Shades of Grey this year, and even though I didn't love it as much as everyone else I still thought it was an enjoyable read. TFioS was also pretty good, but again I wasn't as blown away by it as everyone else. The cover for TBS is beautiful! I'm not a bug contemp read, so it was a complete surprise when I ended up loving Pushing the Limits!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed BSoG and I too was disappointed with TFH. :( I'm so happy you enjoyed PtL :))

      Izbriši
  4. "I can not believe that I will say this, but that would be latest Bloodlines novel, The Fiery Heart." -- *gasps* GLASS, YOU ARE SCANDALOUS!!! This is THE book everyone raved about. Oh, wow. I'm speechless. Yay, I loved The Sea of Tranquility too, Tanja ;) Though, Bully? Really? :( I think I gave that one 1 star because I just didn't forgive the guy for bullying that girl even though he loved her and blah blah blah. His excuse wasn't an excuse at all. Whatever. You're still awesome :D KMM and KA are on everyone's list. GODDAMMIT!!! I need to start reading books by these two. Geez. Oh, oh, oh, oh! I read Throne of Glass and I can't wait to read Crown of Midnight :) OH WOW. The first kiss in CIY? I MUST GET ON THAT BOOK. (My favorite (not)first kiss is in Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, btw *winks*.) I'm with Glass on reading contemporary the most. Fantasy is cool though and I wouldn't mind reading more of it. I NEED SINNER SO BAD. Gosh, it was forever ago when I read Shiver and all of the books in that trilogy, but I'm so looking forward to following Cole and Isabel:) Girls, it was a wonderful blogging year and I'm so glad to have met you. Here's to another great year of awesome books! Cheers!! :) <3

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. LOL Believe it or not both of us were disappointed by that one! Really?? Wow I'm so surprised, as I rarely enjoy NA and Bully was a great read. I haven't read Hopeless but that kiss was something else. Thank you Siiri :) Cheers <3

      Izbriši
  5. I love that you both did this, I see some of my favorite reads from this year on here as well and some I still really want to read.

    Great lists ladies!

    I hope you have a wonderful and safe New Year!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm so happy to hear that. Thanks Ali and Happy New Year to you :)

      Izbriši
  6. Glass! THE CHAOS SERIES!!!! *falls down dead just thinking of those men* I started with Tack actually and worked my way backwards, so Tack will always be my favorite since he was first, but man those books are addicting. And the Fever series Tanja! WOO HOO!!!! One of my all time favorites. Jericho Barrons is something else.

    And clearly I need to read the Lumatere Chronicles. *adds to list* Happy New Year to you both!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm have to get to that series then. :) Yes I loved Fever ;) Oh that's so true. Happy New Year Jenny :)

      Izbriši
  7. The Lumatere Chronicles! I LOVE those books. I'm so glad you both do too! We share a lot of favourites - Crown of Midnight, Tiger Lily, Clockwork Princess. I also read my first Ruta Sepetys book this year and loved it. I can't wait to try Between Shades of Grey from her soon. And I'm SOO nervous about Ignite Me. The love triangle is one of the most frustrating and unpredictable ones out there. I know I'll probably go looking for spoilers before I decide whether or not to pick it up. Thanks for the mention, lovelies! I've enjoyed visiting your blog this year and can't wait for more in 2014. Have a happy new year! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm so happy to hear that Sam, but I already knew we had similar taste ;) Really I cannot wait to read it as it'll be hard t avoid spoilers xD Thank you Sam! Happy New Year :)

      Izbriši
  8. Wow that was in depth but also really cool to see which books you loved and why. Great post! Have a Happy New Year btw.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Congratulations on an amazing year, ladies! It's so fun to see your lists, there's a lot of fantasy on there. Everyone at The Midnight Garden really liked SEA OF TRANQUILITY too, and I see some of our other favorites as well.

    Wishing you an amazing bookish 2014!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm so happy to hear that Wendy :) Happy New Year :))) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  10. So many books to look up! This is such a crazy long list of favorites. I'm not surprised by the Melina Marchetta picks. Great cover picks. I really want to read Cracked. I don't think I would ever forget Meda either.
    Thanks for adding me on your favorite blogs you discovered. I have many blogs and bloggers that I have discovered in 2013 including you fabulous girls (:
    There's so many 2014 upcoming books that I don't know about that I need to look up. Hope you girls have a happy New Year!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes we kinda of love Melina :) Thanks :)
      I'm so happy that I've met you :) Happy New Year :)

      Izbriši
  11. This is such an amazing survey. I enjoyed all your answers Tanja and Glass. I really need to try out the Lumatere (if that's how you spell it) Chronicles because it looks like an all time favorite to me. I SO hope I can start the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning this year. Thanks for sharing ladies! :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You must!! I cannot wait to see it on your currently reading list :) Thanks Janhvi :)

      Izbriši
    2. Thank you for the mention, Tanja! Much love!

      Sarika

      Izbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...