5. pro 2013.

Cracked by Eliza Crewe

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
Meet Meda. She eats people.
Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.
They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.
Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.
The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.
        Whoever is accepting or approving books at Strange Chemistry is made of the same material as I'm. In the sea of books somehow all books published by them, that I've read by now, ended right in my alley. It's hard to resist books with unique storyline and amazing characters. But Eliza Crewe is the one I should thank the most.

         When you read the blurb for this book you realize that the main character here is different. She is not an angel or damsel in distress, for the matter. She is a kick-ass girl who is standing on a thin ice between good and evil. Sometimes even she doesn't know on which side she is. Because she eats souls. Simple as that. It's her curse, as she is born like that. But she decided not to give up and let the universe do things for her, but to fight instead. And boy, she does a great job. During time she spend fighting and surviving she turned into a badass girl who is not afraid. But being alone and always an outcast developed her sarcasm to the new level. Just a few examples:
But worries are for people who can’t pull grown men apart with their bare hands. 
I don’t know if I have a heart, but I get her point – both of them really.
Intent.
And she doesn’t like me.
Good.

         Not only this book is action packed and full of unique elements there is also romance, but bare in mind that this is not a love story, like Meda would put it. This is story about a girl who has strong instinct for survival and with all that kickbut abilities. It's a story about demons and those who fight them. It's a war that is upon them. Most of all this is highly entertaining book, which will make you laugh out loud. Trust me, Meda will do that to you.

          Besides unique and engaging story this book is also nicely written. I enjoyed all idioms here and it was a pleasure to discover their meanings. Well we can say it's my professional bias, not that I'm a professional - yet.

Rating: 5 stars.

Until the next time,

***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Strange Chemistry. Thank you!
I'm not paid for writing this review - I do it as a lover of written word. All opinions are personal. 

32 komentara:

  1. I know this one wasn't for everyone but I really loved it too. I just loved how different it was and just plain fun.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah some won't like Meda, but she was awesome IMO. Thanks, Ali :)

      Izbriši
  2. I agree, Strange Chemistry gets the best books! They tend to be different, and I really like that. I would read anything JUST because it came from them and I'm always up for something different! Glad you liked this one!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. This doesn't sound like something that I would normally read. I hope you enjoy reading it!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I heard great thing about this book. And Strange Chemistry definitely has someone with great taste picking out books - they are always so original. From all their books I read only one was 3-star read.
    Cracked sounds simply awesome. I don't know how I missed requesting the ARC, but it's published now so I am buying it soon.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I hope you'll get to read this one soon. Thanks Dragana :)

      Izbriši
  5. I love it when you can find books that you feel were written just for you. This sounds utterly creepy and I like that there's humor in it. Great review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Seriously, though, Strange Chemistry is onto something - they always get some of the best titles! Anyhow, I'm thrilled to see you loved this, Tanja. I'm really looking forward to it myself, especially the narration which seems to be a lot of fun. I can't wait to pick it up!(:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah, they really have a greae team :) I cannot wait to see what you think of it Keertana :)

      Izbriši
  7. I can't believe it but I don't think I've read any books published by Strange Chemistry and I really should go take a look at the cause they all sound really interesting. I will definitely try this one out when I'm not in the mood for a love story. Great review Tanja!

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You should, as they are something else :) Thanks Janhvi :)

      Izbriši
  8. This is one book I definitely need to make time for Tanja! I've read nothing but positive reviews for it and the uniqueness of Meda's character, and I simply can't wait to meet her. I love characters who from one chapter to the next you can never quite tell if they'll step over that good/evil line:)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm sure you'll end up enjoying it once you get to read it. Yeah Meda is someone you must meet. Thanks Jenny :)

      Izbriši
  9. I really want to read this, and you are right I have read some brilliant gems from Strange Chemistry. The whole concept of this book just screams read me, and I am delighted you enjoyed it so much. I love the cover too.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It does and I hope you'll get to read it soon. The cover is great, I agree :)

      Izbriši
  10. I've heard amazing things about this book . Cannot wait to get my hands on it now :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. You know I love a good action packed story Tanja lol I've not heard of this before, but it sounds really good! Eats souls? What? I want to read the book :) Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I know and I'm sure you'll love this one. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  12. YES! Strange Chemistry people hit it out of the ballpark every single time! And isn't Meda a superstar? I adore her.
    I knew you'd like this, there's something just different enough about it, it's impossible not to fall in love with the characters.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. She is like a rock star girl :)) Yes it truly isn't ;)

      Izbriši
  13. I do enjoy the books by the Strange Chemistry folks and I need to read some more. I have been so curious about this one and I think it is time I met Meda!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I really hope you'll meet her soon. Thanks Heidi :)

      Izbriši
  14. I like the sounds of this one and especially that you loved it so much! Added it to my TBR. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  15. I guess I'm not familiar with Strange Chemistry, but I'm happy you've found a reliable source for books you love! Sounds like Cracked was an excellent reading experience for you.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  16. beautiful review.. I don't have much to say about this except..

    I WANT I WANT <33

    ugh I am on a wait list for this at my library, so anxious!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  17. Between your review and Maja and Sam's, I really MUST read this book soon. It sounds awesome! I agree with you about Strange Chemistry doing an amazing job of picking titles lately. They all seem to be my kind of stories. Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...