14. lis 2014.

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake by Mary Parker

Buy the book at 

Book summary:
I'm a normal teenager. I have a normal teenage life with normal teenage problems. The summer is my heaven. I live with my mom during the summer months. We stay in her tiny condo in Jacksonville, Florida. My parents split up when I was little. I'm not sure why. My mom never talks about it. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to make my mom pack me up in the middle of the night when I was four years old and run to my Gran's condo. My mom got the condo after Gran died. From that time on all I had known my entire life was beach life. Until four years ago. Until my uncle found me.
       Before I start with my review for this book I just wanted to say that this blurb could be used as an example of how you do them. I knew that something paranormal was behind all this but I had no clue what's it about until it got revealed in the book. So I got to say that this book took my by surprise.

       Now I wish I could say that everything else about this book was as good but sadly I cannot. We start with Leeowyn here, as our main character. She is a teenage girl whose life was suddenly changed when her uncle appears. This story is told in fragments at the start so we get thrown back in the past from time to time to see what happened to her and to get the full picture. It wasn't badly done, but the deal with me is that Lee and I didn't connect and she tended to annoy me a lot. She was one of those whiny girls, and I wish it was much sooner that she got her back into her senses and started to behave like it was expected from her. Sadly this way I assume that we can expect that from her in the sequel.

       That being sad I feel like this one has created a really nice foundation for the future books and I truly hope that the next ones will be nicely character and world built which would make me go back to this series.

        But despite that just the fact that I had no idea what was going on through the most of the book kept me turning the pages and at the end I have read this one faster than expected.

Rating: 2.5 stars.

Until the next time,
*Note: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, WordCraft Press. Thank you! 

Broj komentara: 14:

  1. Ack! I can't handle all the drama anymore for some reason. I think all the NA I read beat it out of me. Sorry this wasn't better and less drama filled.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Oh, the lack of connection and frustration with the MC would likely bug me too. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one very much, but thanks for the helpful review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I love when there's drama but not connecting with the main character... that is problematic :D Thank you for the review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Oh I'm sorry it wasn't for you but I confess that I understand the points too... I think I'll pass.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Too bad the story didn't quite live up to the impressive blurb Tanja! I always struggle with whiny protagonists (who doesn't?), so I think Leeowyn would cause a number of problems for me overall. Hopefully she has the chance to grow and mature in future installments!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. It seems like the blurb was the best part of this book which is kinda sad. I hate feeling lost, and the fragmented story was obviously not the route that this author should have taken. At least it was a quick read, but other than that, The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake doesn't appeal to me at all.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. It's always hard to enjoy a book when you can't connect with the characters. I'm sorry this book was a disappointment, Tanja! It's a shame because you are right, that summary is enticing!
    Lovely review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Frustrating that you couldn't connect with the character. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the heads up.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Good to hear its at least a good foundation even if left some things to be desired

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. I Struggle with anyone who whines as I cannot relate. I have to agree about the blurb..it is so well done. Gads, don't you wish they all were like that.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. I'm curious about what happens when her uncle shows up. But I don't think I would connect with her character either. Sorry you didn't like it more though.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. To be honest, I'm not sure I like the format of the blurb much. :P But I totally agree that it's intriguing, and while I'm glad that you found the big reveal to be quite unexpected, I'm sorry the rest of the story didn't impress you as much. Reading your review, I doubt I would've liked it much either.

    Ugh, whiny characters. These kinds of people *do* exist in real life, but authors always butcher them in fiction and make them unlikable when they could've been endearingly realistic. From the sounds of it, I probably would've spent most of my time rolling my eyes at Leeowyn, lol. (Gosh, that's a hard name to spell. xP) It's also horrible there didn't seem to be much character development in her! Ugh, hate it when that happens.

    Well, first books are crucial in creating a good impression, but a series isn't only defined by it, so hopefully the rest of the books will be much better for you, if you ever do read them! Sorry this didn't work out for you, Tanja. Crossing my fingers that your next read is much better! Awesome review, hon. <3

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. I love it when the summary tells you something, and the story ends up being another thing altogether. And I have to admire you for going with this story even though you clearly aren't it's biggest fan. That is truly a feat and I admire you so much for that, girl! I wish the book had been as much a surprise as the premises set by the blurb. Oh well... Let's hope there more development in the future instalments. Amazing review!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...