13. lis 2014.

ARC Review: Stitching Snow by R. C. Lewis

Buy the book at
Author's
Expected publication: October 14th 2014

Book summary:
Princess Snow is missing.
Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.
Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.
When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.
        This is where things get a bit tricky. I truly want to believe that every books has its story to tell and that not two people can write the same, regardless of how similar they are and it's true they cannot. I do also believe that every book is its own entity but despite my efforts not to compare this one with The Lunar Chronicles it's really hard not to do so.

          Once again I was faced with a fairy tale retelling set in the future which makes this book a nice combo of genres and which is something I highly enjoy. Essie as our main character here is a girl that fights her own battles. She is strong and capable and really smart and good with technology (familiar?). She must take care of herself and seven! droids in order to survive, as she escaped from what she truly is. She hoped that things will stay that way, but universe and Dane had other plans for her.

         When I started reading Stitching Snow I really though I'd give up at the start as it was really slow and it took me some time to get into the story and for the pacing to pick up. It did and now I'm glad that I continued. Despite my familiarity with the whole concept I still was surprised with some moments in this book. Also I really liked the chemistry and how it all developed between Dane and Essie. It was sweet and slow burning which is how I like my romance in books.

         But the problem here is that Essie dominated the whole time that other characters couldn't get any spotlight and another thing is that villains here weren't as dominant as you expect them to be. They felt like those villains you get in fairy tales, they are mean just because someone has to be. Also there was that relationship between Essie and her father which seemed more complicated than I though, but sadly we didn't get to see the full background of it.

          I truly believe that all people who haven't read Lunar series will be blow away with Stitching Snow, but to us who are slightly familiar with this all some things weren't as interesting, but at the same time this story brings some fresh air and some new concept to dystopian fairy tale retellings.

Rating: 3 stars.

Until the next time,
**Note: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Disney-Hyperion, via NetGalley. Thank you!

Broj komentara: 14:

  1. I have seen some pretty disappointing reviews for this which. makes me think that I will pass on this one. Thanks so much for the honest review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I wasn't the hugest fan of the Lunar Chronicles but from what you've said, I doubt I'll be blown away by this one either. I think fairy tale re-tellings used to be such a rarity but now they're becoming too common and, sadly, losing their spark as a result. Still, glad you found redeeming qualities within this one and thanks for such an honest review, Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Hmmm. It seems like Stitching Snow wasn't as good as it could be. I absolutely love the Lunar Chronicles! Can't wait for WINTER. Squee~

    I love fairy tale retellings though....

    Great review!
    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I haven't seen a lot of good review about this one si it made me anxious, I think I'll pass.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I'm really curious about this one--I never actually new that it was fairy tale retellings set in the future, which makes me even more curious. I'll definitely keep in mind not to expect too much when I read this one, so I don't get too disappointed :P

    Lovely review, Tanja! <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. As more reviews come in for this book, the more I'm decided that I don't want to read this. I can completely understand why you were unable to not notice the differences. I do that very often too and there's a certain author (who I won't name) who straight out gets inspiration from other authors and tries to make the book her own and it's hard for me not to notice the similarities when I read her books.
    Anyways, it's such a shame that the focus is solely on the main character. I want to see the secondary cast be important too when I read a book. Also, the villains sound pathetic.
    I guess I'll be skipping this for sure.
    Thanks for the helpful review, Tanja.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I really never gave the Lunar Chronicles a real good try. I started reading it and for me I just preferred the classics, and it didn't do it any justice for some reason. But given that the character relationship were dominated more from the MC which must have been frustrating, I'm not sure whether to give this one a go. I do like to have a collection of characters to get to know. I think secondary characters really compliment the novel. Great review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. I skipped this as I just didn't get a good vibe. I am sorry to hear that it was too much like the Lunar Chronciles, while I love that series, I don't want a rip off. I am going to stick firm and skip this one. Thanks for the helpful info.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I am definitely conflicted on whether I want to read this one or not. On one hand it sounds really good and I love me my slow burning romance, but. I really really love Lunar Chronicles and I think I might spend the whole book comparing it and just ruin the whole experience.

    Great review! =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Great review! I'm looking forward to this one. I love the Lunar Chronicles and fairy tale retellings.

    Terri M.
    Second Run Reviews

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. I think it would be hard not to compare any kind of retelling to the Lunar Chronicles, tbh. :P I've only read Cinder, but it's definitely the best fairytale retelling I've read, ever, but yeah... Stitching Snow does sound very similar to Cinder. Not sure I what I think about that.

    Puoh, slow beginnings are the bane of my existence -- you know how impatient I am with books. But I'm glad that the romance at least was good! I can't get enough of those full-of-chemistry relationships, they're just so sweet. <3 And it sounds like the romance between Dane and Essie was done really well.

    Don't think I'll give this one a go, since I wasn't that interested in it to begin with. I understand that main characters are important, but a story isn't only composed of one character, you know? It's awful whenever an author decides to focus solely on the protagonist while everyone else pretty much fades into the background. Anyway, this book sounded like it had a lot of potential, but only lived up to, like, half of it. :(

    Thanks for the informative review, though!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. I haven't read The Lunar Chronicles, but I've heard enough of it to see the comparison between that and Stitching Snow. While this book does sound interesting, and you've stated all your points really well, they fall more towards the negatives and turn-offs for me. I really like this review- I can see you've put a lot of effort to gather your thoughts and put them down. Absolutely great review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. I haven't read The Lunar Chronicles yet, but I fully intend to, seeing as I have the third book on my shelf already. This was a good review and I am glad you didn't go off comparing the books but gave us some insight to this one. It sounds like a decent book with a bit of a slow beginning, so it's a shame about the similarities.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...