24. ožu 2014.

Mini-reviews: Cinder and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary: 
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
         I strongly believe that this series is one of those that's been on my to-read list the longest and I really did fail when it comes to this. I couldn't imagine how much I was missing until I cracked open the first pages of this book.

          Those pages throw you into a world where technology is way ahead of our time. Once again world which is not hard to imagine. Cinder, a cyborg is our main character in this story. She is not a human, but neither is she 100% android, which makes her unaccepted by both worlds. Up until she meets the most important person in her kingdom - Prince Kai who is interested in her. Little did she know that her past will change her forever.

            Even though some aspects of this story were a bit predictable it was hard not to like Cinder, a girl who is so easy to connect with and whose dreams about normal life, love and being someone else were so familiar. The the whole world-building which was so fascinating and imaginable. This book had everything I wished for basically, sweet building romance, great world building and enough mystery to keep me on edge.

Rating: 5 stars. 

Buy the book at 

Book summary:
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
       After finishing Cinder it wasn't really hard to pick my next read. Scarlet was something I needed to read and so I did. I must admit that at the start I was a bit annoyed when our narrator wasn't Cinder but Scarlet but after chapter or two it was obvious that this girl will also become heroine I'd love to be.

      Scarlet's story is one we follow here. We are now in France where she and her Grandma are living on a farm and growing vegetables. Up until one day her Grandma disappears and Scarlet is desperate in finding her. Only she finds someone else, Wolf. With the development of the story we see how Scarlet is connected to this whole mess much more than she believed and that Cinder and she have more in common than they though.

       Same like in Cinder, at the start you think that this story is predictable as you have read classic fairy tales this story soon becomes totally new world which brings a lot of unexpected moments and twists and turns.

        While I was annoyed that I didn't get to see more of Cinder and Kai soon enough I understood that there is an amazing reason for it - Scarlet and Wolf put another light to this world and make you see the story from different angles, without losing any of the magic.

Rating: 5 stars.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 50:

  1. I'm glad to see you've enjoyed this series, Tanja! I absolutely loved Scarlet even though I wasn't a fan of Cinder. Cress, too, disappointed me but then again, I've had an odd relationship with this series. Wonderful mini-reviews, though, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Really? I love them all but Cinder is somehow special to me :) Thanks Keertana :)

      Izbriši
  2. Scarlet was my favorite book of the series, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed both!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Predictability in Cinder--yeah.. :D I had a few problems with it and I didn't connect with Cinder as much as you did but damn!! That was a great read. Ha. What's funny is that I wrote my review for Scarlet just yesterday ;) I loved loved loved Scarlet and to me it was much more not predictable and yes to twists and turns. Ha, I had no problems whatsoever with Wolf and Scarlet as leads and taking Cinder and Kai's spotlight ;) I can't wait to see what we both think of Cress. Great reviews, my love!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It did, but I loved Cinder so much. I still do :D Oh I cannot wait to see it girl :) My review for Cress is going up on Thursday ;) Thanks, dear ;)

      Izbriši
  4. YAY! I'm so glad you finally read these and that you loved them! It's such a fun, clever series :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I L-O-V-E these books! And I had a chuckle when I started reading your Scarlet review b/c I was so far past annoyed about the change of POV that I almost stopped reading it. I didn't obviously, but I. Was. Livid. And then I ended up liking Scarlet even more than Cinder :) And predictably is usually something that puts me off a book, but in a retelling, I just roll with it b/c well . . . who hasn't heard these stories a hundred times?

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. LOL Me too! I was all "WHERE IS MY CINDER, GOOD DAMN!" Yeah it's kinda of hard to do retelling without predictability. Thanks Jessica :)

      Izbriši
  6. I think I am the only person who has not started this series yet even though everyone keeps telling me to lol. They sounds so good and now your reviews have me even more intrigued. Great reviews!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You should! I was ignoring it, but boy was it a mistake. Thanks Teresa :)

      Izbriši
  7. I still need to read these! They've been on my shelf for forever, signed and personalized even! lol Glad you liked them!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. WOO HOO!!!!! I'm so glad you loved these books Tanja! Like you, I was a little irritated when I found out Scarlet (and each subsequent book) was going to introduce a new heroine, I just wanted to stay with Cinder, but I couldn't have loved Scarlet more. She was epic and I fell madly in love with Wolf. Can't wait to see what you think of Cress!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah I did love Scarlet as well. It was a surprise and even with Cress. I don't remember someone creating such amazing MCs lately. Thanks Jenny :)

      Izbriši
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed the series, Tanja (: Seems like I need to start the series soon. I was little wary in starting Cinder,because of mixed reviews. But, I heard Scarlet and Cress are way better than Cinder and your review made me want to pick up Cinder soon. Wonderful review!! (:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You should go for it. I guess some people didn't connect with Cinder where in we are BBFs :D Thanks Ini :)

      Izbriši
  10. This is a must read series for me, I am hoping I can get to it sometime over the next few weeks.

    Great reviews!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. I'm glad you loved these ones too! I have Cress, I just need to squeeze it in!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. I'm so glad you finally read the books and loved them :) I love this series and I really need to start Cress! Great reviews Tanja.

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. YAY! So glad to see you finally got around to this series and loved both the books!! :) I was so sad because of the lack of Kai and Cinder time. They're my favorite ship so it did become kind of an issue for me and Wolf and Scarlet didn't do much for me either .-. Kai and Cinder just have such a fixed place in my heart that I cannot even bother with other ships :P

    Lovely mini-reviews, Tanja!!

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yay I'm so glad we are both Kai&Cinder fangirls :D Thanks Rashika :)

      Izbriši
  14. I'm not 100% sold on this series even though every review (including yours) seems to give it 5 stars. I hear there's wolves in it which I LOVE, but I'm not sold on the cyborg aspect. Either way, great review! :)

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  15. I agree, Cinder was a bit predictable but beyond that this series is anything but predictable and it is currently one of my faves. Hope you love Cress.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  16. I love this series and each book in my opinion gets better!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  17. Glad you enjoyed this series! I've only read Cinder myself and wasn't that big a fan but lot's of people love them. Great mini reviews =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  18. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy Cinder as much as I'd hoped, but I have heard the greatest things about Scarlet! And I also love it when characters from a previous book also make a reappearance! Gorgeous reviews Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I hope you'll give Scarlet a chance :) Thanks Jasprit :)

      Izbriši
  19. This is a series I've been meaning to read too, Tanja. I'm glad to see the books exceeded your expectations. You make me want to make them a priority. Great reviews!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  20. I'm glad you loved both of these! If I didn't know Scarlet was going to be from a different POV I would have had the same original thought you did but I eventually loved all the switching POVs. It's great because all the characters have unique voices.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I did at the end, but I was really skeptical at first. True :)

      Izbriši
  21. Yay! I'm so glad you loved these books :D The Lunar Chronicles are AWESOME (I can assure you that Cress is just as good as Cinder and Scarlet) and I can't wait for Winter!

    Lovely reviews <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I cannot wait for Winter either! Thanks Celine ;))

      Izbriši
  22. Yeah Meyer really knows how to capture you :) I think that Cinder and Kai will remain my fave till the end. Thanks, Aman :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  23. I really, really need to read this series. I keep seeing it everywhere, and all the reviews are raving. It's been on my TBR list since forever!

    Oana @All Fantasy Worlds

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I really, but really hope you'll start it soon. Thanks Oana :)

      Izbriši
  24. I love this series as well. I love how it makes such interesting and unique twists to each of the fairy tales it is retelling, and how there is a bigger plot moving in each book. Marissa Meyer just keeps getting better and better with each instalment she releases. When are you reading Cress? It's hand down the best in the series so far!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  25. I just grabbed Cinder on audio from the library and it's 1.5 books away from being read - so I'm really glad to have yet another confirmation that this is a series I need to read! Great reviews!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I cannot wait to see your review for it. Thank you! :)

      Izbriši
  26. Great reviews. I love Scarlet's story the most. I love Wolf. <3

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...