5. velj 2016.

ARC Review: Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan

Buy the book at 
Amazon / Barnes & Noble / The Book Depository
Author's 
Website / Facebook / Twitter

Book summary:

Seventeen years ago, an eclipse cloaked the kingdom of Relhok in perpetual darkness. In the chaos, an evil chancellor murdered the king and queen and seized their throne. Luna, Relhok’s lost princess, has been hiding in a tower ever since. Luna’s survival depends on the world believing she is dead.
But that doesn’t stop Luna from wanting more. When she meets Fowler, a mysterious archer braving the woods outside her tower, Luna is drawn to him despite the risk. When the tower is attacked, Luna and Fowler escape together. But this world of darkness is more treacherous than Luna ever realized.
With every threat stacked against them, Luna and Fowler find solace in each other. But with secrets still unspoken between them, falling in love might be their most dangerous journey yet.
With lush writing and a star–crossed romance, Reign of Shadows is Sophie Jordan at her best. 
         I might have promised on my Goodreads that I'll complain about the unrealistic things in this fantasy book and I'm actually thinking about that. So beware as I'm not always as logical as I might sound.

         Sophie Jordan and I go a way back, when she blew me away with her debut in YA lit I believe, Firelight. Sadly everything went downhill in that series and our relationship afterwards. Still when I saw Reign of Shadows on Edelweiss I couldn't help myself. It sounded so good, a ruined kingdom, new magical world and what sounds like a good kickass main character and not to mention a possible new book boyfriend. It had some of that, but not enough.

         Reign of Shadows starts in a tower which is isolated in the woods and rarely anybody knows about it. It's occupied only by a hunter, old maid and a girl with a very long hair *hint? hint* Yes, it's kind of, sort of a retelling. Our Rapunzel is Luna, a girl who has been living in isolation. The chaos has destroyed not only her kingdom but also the whole world. They only get a couple of hours of light, and the rest of the day they are cloaked in darkness, where many dangerous creatures hide. She's been a good girl and obeyed all the rules until one day she decided to break some. Of course she meets Fowler (of Flower as I suck at properly reading names) and falls head over heals in love.

       It all went downhill from there, there was attack and they must run. It also means spending more time together and well you know how that ends. Now don't get me wrong, the romance here was quite nice. Yes predictable, but still slow building and sweet. But there is one issue, big issue. Luna actually has, I'm not really sure what's the proper term to use here but I'll say impairment. Still she kicks ass better than I would with four hands and 20 years of training with ninjas themselves. Fine, she is determined, but for the heaven's sake this is as realistic as me winning the lottery. Even there the odds are 1 in 14 million (totally googled that).

      You can assume that it annoyed me more than it should, but I'm a moody reader so it either doesn't bother me or pisses the hell out of me. Not to forget, this is not a standalone. It'll have a sequel for sure, so don't get your hopes up.

Rating: 2 stars. 

Until the next time,
*NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Harper Teen, via Edelweiss. Thank you!

Broj komentara: 7:

  1. Sorry this just wasn't the read for you.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Too bad this one didn't work out for you. Maybe next time the author will be able to impress you again.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Aw, sorry this didn't work for you! I'm a little worried about reading it now, mostly because I actually hadn't realized the kind of retelling aspect of it. I'm even more put off honestly just because the last kind of retelling I read was so bad (Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine). I'm glad I know more of what to expect going into this one.

    Oh, and Flower?! So I'm not the only one who reads character names wrong!??? I hate when I do it but I do it all the time and then it's stuck that way in my head no matter how hard I try to correct myself! =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I don't have much luck with this author so I'm going to take your advice and steer clear of this one. I'm sorry it was such a disappointment but I hope your next read is a LOT better!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I had first heard of Sophie Jordan from your blog and you! But this doesn't sound appealing at all. I'm not even going to bother checking it out. thank you for the honest review!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Wow very nice book i always read this when i went for Dubai Specially in Dubai City Tour Thanks for sharing about this book

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...